SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Guide rod broke on P229

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Guide rod broke on P229 Login/Join 
posted
The factory guide rod broke on my .40 call P229.

1. I was amazed it was plastic.
2. I replaced it with a Gray Guns FAT rod
3. I used Slide Guide grease to lubricate the spring
4. It was much more difficult to install the guide rod than before

I went to the range and shot 25 rounds. Felt recoil seems somewhat more harsh and the slide failed to fully cycle once.

I'm concerned about how tight the spring fit the rod and wonder if I should replace the spring? It seems to be much tighter, or encounter more resistance than the factory original equipment.

Comments / Suggestions?

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The Gray Guns FAT rod is a tight fit by design. The recoil spring expands as it is compressed, so I doubt that caused the hiccups. Keep the rod greased and give it some more time. I don't see how the FAT rod could increase felt recoil.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the fast answer I really appreciate your explanation.

____

posted Hide Post
One end of the Sig recoil springs fits tighter than the other.

Usually, but not always, the painted end is the smaller end.

Make sure the tighter end goes on the guide rod first.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
One end of the Sig recoil springs fits tighter than the other.

Usually, but not always, the painted end is the smaller end.

Make sure the tighter end goes on the guide rod first.

Ah! Another thing I didn't know.

____

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:

If the guide and spring are assembled incorrectly, especially with the fat rod, I believe it could cause the problems you encountered.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had replaced the guide rod with the grey guns rod too had similar results. I did the same kept it greased and after a few more rounds everything works perfect.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:

If the guide and spring are assembled incorrectly, especially with the fat rod, I believe it could cause the problems you encountered.

Who would have thought it was possible to assemble, incorrectly, a guide rod and spring?

____

Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the synthetic recoil guide rods (plastic) were used for a time but were recognized as a problem because they don’t provide sufficient support to the recoil spring and the should be replaced with a standard metal guide. I would not be surprised if SIG-Sauer would provide a replacement. The recoil guide rod should last a lifetime (20,000 rounds). Some are solid and some are hollow but there is no discernible difference. Check the “trumpet-end” for cracks.

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Herman:
FWIW, the synthetic recoil guide rods (plastic) were used for a time but were recognized as a problem because they don’t provide sufficient support to the recoil spring and the should be replaced with a standard metal guide. I would not be surprised if SIG-Sauer would provide a replacement. The recoil guide rod should last a lifetime (20,000 rounds). Some are solid and some are hollow but there is no discernible difference. Check the “trumpet-end” for cracks.

The trumpet end failed with half of the "bell" falling out on the bench when I took the slide off for cleaning. It didn't occur to me to call in a marker with SIG for a warranty repair.

I'm well short of 20,000 rounds.

____