SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P229 DAK Mainspring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 DAK Mainspring Login/Join 
posted
Can a DAO P229 mainspring fit and work on a P229 DAK Gun? I ask because a friend had someone put a new mainspring in his DAK P229 and now the trigger is like 18-20lbs. Like the old DAO
Guns before DAK.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And are the Dak specific springs red or a certain color ?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
DAK mainsprings for all models except the P239 are marked with dark red paint, and they are more powerful (harder to compress) than the mainsprings usually used in DA/SA or DAO Classic line pistols. Although I never saw a from-the-factory DAO SIG with one, some evidently used a rare less powerful mainspring rated at 18 pounds (whatever that meant) that was marked with yellow paint. Using a yellow paint mainspring reduces the trigger pull weight.

The standard DA/SA mainsprings can be used in DAK pistols and will normally reduce the pull weight as compared with a red spring, but using them is more likely to result in light strike misfires. Using a standard factory mainspring in a DAK pistol should not result in a heavier trigger pull; just the opposite in fact.

If you are saying your friend installed a red mainspring in a DAK P229 the long trigger pull weight should be no more than about 7 1/2 pounds, and usually less. Going the other way, i.e., putting a DAK spring in a DA/SA or DAO pistol, will result in a heavier pull. I had an NYPD contract overrun DAO P226 with DAK mainspring whose pull weight measured 13 pounds, 1 ounce.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No a standard da/SA main spring was installed in a factory DAK. Now the trigger pull is longer and harder to pull. Unlike the original dak...

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
No a standard da/SA main spring was installed in a factory DAK. Now the trigger pull is longer and harder to pull. Unlike the original dak...

Then I have no explanation. Perhaps something else is going on besides the switch of mainsprings. I don't know what it might be, but I can attest based on personal experience and the history of the DAK trigger that the standard factory DA/SA mainspring is less powerful and produces a lighter trigger pull than the red paint DAK mainspring.

The trigger pull stroke length should not be affected by which mainspring is installed; that is a function of the mechanics of the hammer, trigger bar, and trigger. The mainspring affects how much force is necessary to pull the trigger, but not how far those parts move before letoff.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post