SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Question for Armorer on Sig Legion P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Armorer on Sig Legion P229 Login/Join 
posted
Any Sig Armorer

I have a semi complicated question about my newer Sig P229 Legion.

After field stripping and cleaning my Legion, something I do after EVERY training session, and putting it all back together, I noticed when I tilted the gun from right to left or left to right there is this clicking sound. It is kind of faint but DEFFINETLY there. If I shake it side to side it is a little louder. I thought something was loose but couldn’t immediately identify the issue. Also…I do believe the gun has done it since it was new, the pistol has 1535 rounds through it.

Upon examining it further by removing the slide and individually tilting the slide separate from the bottom receiver, and doing the same thing with the bottom receiver, I could not reproduce the sound. I then wiggled the ejector arm and noticed definite play in it. I took out my other P229 Nitron (2 years older) and tested that…no click. Took off the slide and checked the ejector arm on it and it also had a little wiggle…BUT…less than my newer legion.

I then put the slide of my Legion ½ way on and tilted it left and right and could not reproduce the sound. In fact…it didn’t start clicking until I put the slide all the way back on…then every tilt right to left produced this click. And you didn’t have to wiggle it vigorously…just tilting it caused it. I then pulled the slide off just enough so the tip end of the ejector arm was entering the channel…and sure enough…heard the faint click when tilting the Legion side to side. As soon as it was out of the channel…no click when tilting.

I am pretty sure, but not absolute on this, that the Legion extractor arm wiggles just enough that when one tilts the gun sideways it comes in contact with the side of the channel it sits in making that click I am hearing. At least on the Legion. The NItron P229 is just shy of wiggling enough to touch (very little movement)…thus, no click.

I understand that play in that ejector arm is normal and necessary…and that there can be slight differences in manufacturing of parts causing these slight differences. However, these are my questions:

1. Is this an issue that needs attention on my Legion?

2. Is this normal, and therefore, Ok behavior?

3. Will it be something that would ever lead to a failure with this firearm?

4. Anyone else find their Legion P229 does the same thing?

I have had no failures with my Legion, after the 200rnd breakin, and am not seeing any unusual wear in the channel nor on the ejector arm (I don’t think).

I should mention that customer service did try this with a new, unused, Legion P229 and said they got clicking too…but thought it was the trigger. I said mine is not the trigger or the hammer as I held those as I was tilting the gun, each separately, and it made no difference. They must have tried it again and said yes it was something clicking, very faintly, in that area of the slide where the ejector arm and safety lever are at. I don’t think it is the safety lever…I believe it is the ejector arm doing this.

Any help and/or information on this would be much appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KM1,

Posts: 18 | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SIGforum. I don't own a Legion and I am not an official armorer, so take my advice for what you paid for it. Don't sweat the small stuff. The ejector just sits on a roll pin with nothing holding it in place but adjacent parts. It's not going anywhere. If the click annoys you, do not shake the gun or tilt it. IMO, your Legion is fine.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the response. I was only concerned whether this could cause a future issue or failure. It is something you would definitely notice when just tilting the gun sideways while wiping it down (you don't have to shake the pistol at all)...and my other P229 didn't show the same behavior. It sounded like something had come loose.

If it is normal...fine...if it is not...would simply get it taken care of...that's all.

Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
FYI,
I was an 'official' Sig armorer. However, my certification has expired. :-(

I've lost count of the times that Gary has helped me with my questions on this forum about my classic model Sigs.
He's an amazing source of information!

Welcome to the best forum.

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks wetwilly.

posted Hide Post
By the way...I had posted this in another section and it was mentioned that double posts are frowned upon.

I can't seem to find a way to delete that other post. Anyone know if there is a way to do that? Is there anyway for a member to take down one of their posts?

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't seem to find a way to delete that other post. Anyone know if there is a way to do that? Is there anyway for a member to take down one of their posts?

Don't worrry about it. You can delete a post before anyone replies, but after that a moderator would have to do it. You weren't the first, nor will ou be the last.

Again, welcome to SIGforum.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I also do not own a SIG P229 Legion and am not a SIG certified armorer, but I am with GaryBF on this one.

Without the benefit of actually examining the gun in person it is impossible to know whether the problem is a loose ejector... or,if there even is a problem. Also, correlation doesn't equal causation. I've seen a number of classic SIG P series with a small amount of wiggle in the ejector, but I've never encountered one that wiggled enough to account for any of the sounds I've heard coming from the gun. Just based on my own experience I'd suspect wiggle in a trigger, slide to frame, or the safety lever before the ejector.

I can certainly understand wanting to be proactive in dealing with a potential problem but in this case, as you are the original owner of this new gun, the warranty should cover you in the event that some problem does eventually develop.

Welcome to the forum!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
One of my 226's make sort of the exact sound-it's the firing pin block safety arm moving around. It shoots just fine but there is some definite side to side play in it.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I also do not own a SIG P229 Legion and am not a SIG certified armorer, but I am with GaryBF on this one.

Without the benefit of actually examining the gun in person it is impossible to know whether the problem is a loose ejector... or,if there even is a problem. Also, correlation doesn't equal causation. I've seen a number of classic SIG P series with a small amount of wiggle in the ejector, but I've never encountered one that wiggled enough to account for any of the sounds I've heard coming from the gun. Just based on my own experience I'd suspect wiggle in a trigger, slide to frame, or the safety lever before the ejector.

I can certainly understand wanting to be proactive in dealing with a potential problem but in this case, as you are the original owner of this new gun, the warranty should cover you in the event that some problem does eventually develop.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the response Modern Day...I don't believe it could be the trigger as I can hold the trigger still and simply tilt the gun side to side and no difference...sound is the same. Trigger does not move.

I also don't believe it to be be the slide frame as I can keep that from moving when tilting that side to side. Still has the click with no effect on the sound...plus it is coming from something internal near that ejector arm and I know what that slide sound is like on a looser slide. This Legion P229 is pretty tight in that area.

Now the safety lever...that's a different story. However, that only moves up and down...not side to side. There is no side to side play in that piece and simply tilting the gun slightly left to right shouldn't cause that type of movement...I don't think.

Lastly, as I mentioned, I can literally see the ejector arm come in contact with the side of the channel when I tilt the gun with the slide slightly removed so as the ejector arm is just entering the channel. It makes that same click every time. If I pull the ejector arm just slightly out of the chamber...where talking an 1/8 of an inch...and tilt the gun...no sound.

Your last point about being proactive is exactly where I am at as this is my carry firearm and wanted to know if this movement/click was not an issue.

Plus, I like to know things...and since my other P229 Nitron doesn't show this behavior I thought I'd ask those more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Picture of geektoad
posted Hide Post
I just checked my 229 Legion. I can get it to make the click you're describing, I can make it stop with light pressure on the trigger though. I've put close to 1k rounds through it and done a couple classes with it as well and never had a single failure of any sort, so I'm just going to not turn it to the side in a quiet environment any more. Wink

Posts: 95 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL...Yea...if I stop shooting like a gangsta then no problem... Wink

If I hold the trigger still and simply tilt it to the right it clicks...and the click is coming from the back around where the ejector arm and safety lever are at.