SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Night Sight dating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Sight dating Login/Join 
posted
is there a way to date trijicon night sights?
I have some that came off slides that were milled but I have no idea the age?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Offer to take them to a movie?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some have date codes similar to those used on SIG pistols made in Germany, but not all, and I’m not sure that the codes are the same. Do they have any markings?

If you’re concerned about how bright they are, I recommend just comparing them to a set whose age you know.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
This is a photo of a Meprolight rear sight. MH3 means tritium, 8 is the sight height, and AI is the date code. As sigfreund stated, the date code may not follow SIG or HK for that matter.

Meprear by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have all the normal h3 mumbojumbo but say al like the above. Searching seems to show mostly real date codes like 08 or 10 so I have not a clue

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Are your sights still glowing?

My Trijicon went about 13 years before I noticed they were going dim but I didn't replace them until after they went completely dark.

If your sights are bright, then they are not older than 10 to 12 years.

If they are dim but usable as night sights, I'd guess between 12 and 15 years old.

If they are completely dark, I'd guess they are 16 or more years old.

Keep in mind that my info is 1) based on memory of 2) how one set of Trijicon night sights aged. Observations of how one set of night sights aged is not very dependable.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post