SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    226 Platinum Elite Rear Dovetail and Sight Replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 Platinum Elite Rear Dovetail and Sight Replacement Login/Join 
posted
I just got a P226 Platinum Elite and it appears to have a nonstandard rear dovetail. The cut looks a little wider than a regular 226 and this gun, from 2008, came with adjustable night sights that are just about dead. Could someone please tell me what dovetail cut this is and where to find replacement sights.

Posts: 13 | Registered: August 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Only one source to replace them.
Same sights as the Dark Elite. https://dawsonprecision.com/da...r-fiber-optic-front/
They have them with a black rear also.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I've used Dawson fronts on many different guns, usually with Warren rears, and I know if I buy the set they'll work with me to get the POI right.

I've been told that the Meprolight adjustable set might work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Meproli...istols/dp/B005AUF1CW

I really wanted some Trijicon HD XR on this gun but I can deal with the options I have. From what I've been told it's the rear dovetail that makes this slide difficult. It's cut about .040" deeper than standard spec.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The rear sight on that model is Sigs bastard child.
The Mepro's won't work and they look terrible on a P series Sig IMO.

While I don't have a Dark Elite I did see it it come up in searches when I was looking for something to use on my 229 legacy .40 slide that has the rear dovetail cut way to deep.

Most I seen just got rid of the gun due to no sight options. Gray Guns used to sell sights for them but don't any more and now Dawson has some.

A stripped slide is another option, 226 slides with the Elite forward serrations can be had for a decent price. Refinish it to match the gun and install your preferred sights.

226 RX slides have the forward serrations as well and are another option.
That's the route I went with my 229 Select since I am stuck with the stock sights on it.
That one has a #8 front and # 6 rear.
I really wanted the Trijicon HD XR sights on it and was bummed that I can't use them.
I may contact Sig and see if they will do something with it as it would be nice to have options for it.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new to Sigs but am very impressed with the slide to frame fit on this Platinum Elite. It's one of the tightest I've ever owned. My Berettas, even the Wilson Combat models, don't even come close. My CZ 97 and an SP-01 I just sold were almost that tight. But this thing is custom 1911 hand fit tight.

The first time I shot it I had some of the best groups of my life at 10 and 15 yards and I wasn't even going for good groups. Just trying to see if I knocked the horrible fitting rear sight far enough over to the right.

To be fair if you can get that rear sight anchored in good, which is not really possible without stripping the set screws, the sights work fine for 50 rounds or so before they start to rattle off again. I know where I can get some stainless set screws to replace them, cajun gun works uses the same size on their adjustable sears, and I might even try to make them work but the tritium is dead and this is 2008 model.

I guess it's Dawson Precision time. If I can get a proper POI sight picture on this gun I'm going to drop in the Armory Craft hammer and probably a Gray Guns fully adjustable trigger. I initially got this gun just to learn the platform. Was going smooth until I found out about this dovetail cut. Still having a blast learning and understanding what makes a Sig Sauer tick.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The Dawson set is affordable and a reputable outfit.

The AC hammers are top notch, I have it in 3 of mine.

I just dropped a Gray Guns EDC SOT kit in my 226 Legion and can't say enough good things about that.
I should have another one in the mail in a couple hours for my M11-A1.
A bit on the pricey side but it is worth every penny.
Top Gun Supply has them in stock, there are two versions, DAK and non DAK. https://www.topgunsupply.com/g...-sauer-p-series.html

I already run a 19 lb mainspring in all of my guns and this kit dropped the DA pull 2 lbs and the SA 1 lb that gave it a DA pull of 6.5 lbs and a 3.5 SA pull. Silky smooth action and the straight trigger is just the right shape and reach for me.

posted Hide Post
I saw that SOT kit and even checked my frame to figure out that I have the DAK compatible window. I might give it a try. I love customizing my guns.

I'm more concerned with getting the creep out of my single action pull. The Platinum Elite already has about a 7lb 8oz double and 3lb 8oz single pull with the SRT kit but there is a lot of creep in single action. Milos told me his hammer will take most of the creep out.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The AC hammer does indeed remove a lot of the creep.
I noticed it when I installed it in my M11-A1 and have put one in all but my P220 as soon as I bought the gun.

226 with AC hammer and EDC kit
https://youtu.be/_uR9bqV2ATc

220 with Sig hammer and AC slightly curved trigger.
https://youtu.be/KmhJcyc9rG8

posted Hide Post
They both say video unavailable.

Are you TheFallingHammer on youtube? If so I've seen some of your vids. The HAMMER5 code still works on the AC site.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Nope, I'm not that guy. I can't even figure out how to link a vid.
Though it worked on my end.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_uR9bqV2ATc

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/KmhJcyc9rG8

posted Hide Post
That is an amazing trigger. I'll probably go ahead and get the AC hammer next week when they are back from vacation and shipping orders again.

I got the Dawson sight set for my P226 Platinum Elite last week and they work very well for range and target practice. That's all I really need on this gun so all is well.