SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 double-action trigger slips and misfires
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 double-action trigger slips and misfires Login/Join 
posted
I've been having a problem with my P226 for some time, had an armorer look at/repair it, but the problem has persisted.

The problem: pulling double-action trigger sometimes "slips" before fully cocking the hammer resulting in the hammer falling too early w/o enough force to "go bang"

The armorer indicated that the trigger bar had a "birth defect" and was slightly bent a couple microns. He claimed to have fixed it, and it did behave better for a while, but the problem returned after a couple hundred rounds.

Is this a common/known problem? Is my best course of action to just send it back to Sig for some R&R?

Opinions welcome. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
If you take the grips off and post a picture, it'd help us significantly. It could be:

- Trigger bar spring in wrong position
- Defect in trigger bar
- Hammer pin too far to one side

Like I said, it's hard to diagnose without seeing what's going on. Sigfreund is right though, Armorers are taught to replace parts, not fix them

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It would be helpful to know some history. Are you the original owner of the gun or was it preowned? Parts can wear over time. Some of us install lighter than factory factory mainsprings to reduce the trigger pull, and that can lead to strikes. Perhaps a new mainspring is needed.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased it NIB and it is completely stock i.e. zero modifications post purchase. Less than 1,500 rounds through it.

I'll try to find another reputable local Sig armorer; barring that, I'll send it back to Sig.

I was just curious if this was a common issue, and if the diagnosis of a slightly bent trigger bar could result in the behavior I'm seeing.

Posts: 4 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just curious if this was a common issue, and if the diagnosis of a slightly bent trigger bar could result in the behavior I'm seeing.

Your problem is not common, however, it certainly could occur with a defective trigger bar. You should be able to observe what is happening by dry firing the gun with the right grip panel removed.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely out of the ordinary. Save yourself some angst and send it back to Sig. Shouldn't cost you anything.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under warranty, send to Sig! They will cover shipping and there service is expedient.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Report back after the gun is fixed and let us know how the issue is resolved.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem when I swapped in the SRT safety lever and sear into an early P226. If I pressed the trigger very slowly, it would slip. If I pulled quickly, it would work.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post