SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Remington 1100 maintenance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1100 maintenance Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I just received a gift from my father: the Remington 1100 12g that he taught me to shoot trap on, around 1983.

I'd like to detail strip it and tune it up, a bit. Any suggestions on parts to replace or look closely at while it's apart?
How about suggestions for a good armorer's manual?

The gun is an early 80's example, at the latest. Possibly slightly older.

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Definitely replace the action spring. ($8 at Brownells) Keeps the frame from getting hammered.
Anything else depends on how it functions.
I used to have a pdf of Rem auto 'things to look for' (cracks, etc.) but it must be on one of my dead hard drives.

I shoot my Rem auto with the mag tube and piston/piston seal wet with Breakfree CLP...cleans up with a paper towel. Shooting them dry like the factory recommends means you are going to chisel carbon or soak & then scrub it with something that might be abrasive. CLP is easier and doesn't wear on the mag tube.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Go to shotgunworld.com and check out their " I love my" section and go to the Remington threads. They have a great thread on the 1100's. Should give you all the info you are looking for. Great site!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An excellent manual for the Remington 870/1100/11-87:

https://www.brownells.com/guns...anual-prod25716.aspx

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also replace the O=ring

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the book reference. Just traded for a Remington 1100 Tac 2. NIB not fired yet, will also use CLP as noted above. Hopefully fire it next week.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting one of the best designed semiautomatic shotguns ever made. I’ve seen them (club skeet guns) with a quarter million rounds through them that just needed a good cleaning, lubing, a new barrel seal (o-ring) and they were good for another quarter million. I still use one for sporting clays and have a safe full of nice O/U’s. As a gunsmith, that’s about all I ever did to them. Other than the bad barrels that had to be replaced by Remington. I found a tougher barrel seal for them and bought a lifetime supply.

“It's never too late to have a happy childhood.”
― Tom Robbins

Posts: 20 | Location: N. FL | Registered: January 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're getting one of the good ones. Like any semi auto, they require maintenance and, with it they will last more than a lifetime. They are very simple. Break it all the way down and thoroughly clean all metal then spray with Barricade. Replace the action(recoil) spring, action link(Fork) and the O Ring. Check the Buffer on the back of the bolt and if need be replace that as well. I use a bearing grease on the action arms for lubrication and on the outside of the barrel tang as this mitigates the vibration from the barrel to receiver

Posts: 107 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: March 08, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post