SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Remington 1100 maintenance

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1100 maintenance Login/Join 
posted
Hey all-

I just received a gift from my father: the Remington 1100 12g that he taught me to shoot trap on, around 1983.

I'd like to detail strip it and tune it up, a bit. Any suggestions on parts to replace or look closely at while it's apart?
How about suggestions for a good armorer's manual?

The gun is an early 80's example, at the latest. Possibly slightly older.

Thanks,

Bruce

"I cannot spare this man. He fights!"
-Abraham Lincoln

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 2861 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
Picture of KMitch200
posted Hide Post
Definitely replace the action spring. ($8 at Brownells) Keeps the frame from getting hammered.
Anything else depends on how it functions.
I used to have a pdf of Rem auto 'things to look for' (cracks, etc.) but it must be on one of my dead hard drives.

I shoot my Rem auto with the mag tube and piston/piston seal wet with Breakfree CLP...cleans up with a paper towel. Shooting them dry like the factory recommends means you are going to chisel carbon or soak & then scrub it with something that might be abrasive. CLP is easier and doesn't wear on the mag tube.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 2942 | Location: AZ - West side of the valley | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to shotgunworld.com and check out their " I love my" section and go to the Remington threads. They have a great thread on the 1100's. Should give you all the info you are looking for. Great site!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1046 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Bruce

"I cannot spare this man. He fights!"
-Abraham Lincoln

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 2861 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An excellent manual for the Remington 870/1100/11-87:

https://www.brownells.com/guns...anual-prod25716.aspx

Posts: 874 | Location: Back in Texas... | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also replace the O=ring

Posts: 16579 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the book reference. Just traded for a Remington 1100 Tac 2. NIB not fired yet, will also use CLP as noted above. Hopefully fire it next week.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post