SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Question about Sig P220 Sport with factory compensator-optics that will work without changing factory sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Sig P220 Sport with factory compensator-optics that will work without changing factory sights Login/Join 
posted
I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions regarding which type of optics will work with this pistol? Mine has front sights that are integrated on top of the the factory compensator. I am learning that the factory compensator scope mount is next to impossible to find so I am wondering what the alternatives may be.

Would a Sig Romeo 1 red dot work? Or perhaps some type
of aftermarket optics setup?

Any additional information from forum members or owners of the p220 sport would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a early edition P220ST that has the rails for the compensator from the P220 Sport.
I bought 2 of the compesators for the gun years ago. I wanted to attach a scope on one of the compensators and leave the other original. My plan was to have a picitiny aluminum rail welded to the comp. or bolted on. I never followed up with the project because having the rail welded or bolted on would require very exacting standards to align the comp,rail, and barrel.I found I did not want to put this kind of investment into that project. I also found that the comp only had very little effect on the guns performance.
If I had decided to use the comp. I would have installed the front sight on the comp and removed the front sight from the slide. I even tried to use both front sights so I could use the gun with and without the comp.
I installed a MMC adjustable rear sight and a high front sight on the comp. hoping I could turn the rear sight up and aim over the sight on the slide, turned out to be a ridiculous idea.

I believe that back in the day the shooters choosing optics for the P220ST removed the rear sight and installed a Doctor Optic red dot in the rear slide dovetail.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the information. That project you mentioned sounds very interesting but like you said it would have been difficult to setup to exact specifications.

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 220st that I bought used and found a comp on ebay. I removed my front sight from the slide and used one on the comp but decide I wanted to be able to shoot it without the comp and having to put the sight back on the slide. I sent the comp to Total Automation and had him remove the hump where the sight went on and I just use the front sight mounted on the slide and it works great for me.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post