SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    When to use wolff extra power fire pin spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to use wolff extra power fire pin spring Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I want to put in a 19lb main spring in my P226 to reduce the DA pull. When browsing on Wolff's website, I found out there is a performance pak with a extra power firing pin spring. My question is when I should use it. Should I use it with reduced power main spring, such as 19lb? Don't quite understand why I want to use an extra power firing pin spring in this case. Would such a spring cause more light strike issue with a reduced power main spring?

Thanks

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not needed. If the performance pak includes different recoil springs, then the xp fp spring could be beneficial in a different platform (think Series 70 1911 with an extra power recoil spring).

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. So basically don't use any of xp fp spring in my p226 when I put in a reduced power main spring.

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In terms of function, there is no connection between a RP main spring and anything else. The worst that can happen is the RP main spring does not have enough power to reliably ignite the primer every time.

I use 18# Wolff RP mains springs (hammer springs) in my P226 and P229's. No reliability issues. No other springs have been changed.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for explaining. I will start with a 18# main spring in my p226.

posted Hide Post
Buy the three pak with a 17, 18, 19#. I presume you have the plastic base hammer strut/base assembly.

If this is a defensive gun, be sure you thoroughly test with carry ammo. Every gun is different. Also, some have reported that the RP springs will eventually lose some of their initial weight. However, I've personally never had that problem.

I've played with the 17# and had no misfires in limited testing with my reloads. However, it gave a slightly funky DA and a SA that was too light. Don't forget that when the DA weight is reduced, so is the SA. With the three pak, you can try them and decide for yourself.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for these details. I would try with 19# first. I saw online that some people have problem with 17# spring and some factory load.