SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sight installation & removal - which direction?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight installation & removal - which direction? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
I bought a sight pusher tool. My question to those who have a lot of experience changing sights is, how do you decide which direction to remove and install them? Do you push everything in one direction, such as left to right? Or do the sights come out and go back in the same side? In either case, how do you decide which side or direction to push?

On top of that, do you center your sights by eye, or do you try to measure w/ calipers?

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
In general, install sights from left to right. SIG sights have a slight chamfer on the leading edge to make installation easier. I don't know about other brands. Sight removal can be either way, however, it may be easier to remove them in the opposite direction, i.e. right to left.

As for centering: I don't give a crap. I care about my POI, not how pretty the slide looks. YMMV.

SightChamfer by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I look at the slide and see if I can tell by any sight channel scuff which direction they were installed from.
A recent thread about Sig sights delved into this very subject.

On a Glock it doesn't matter. (it's also a lot easier than some others)
Even though some might say L/R or R/L is correct, I haven't seen a lick of difference one way or the other in the quite a few Glock sight changes I've done.

ETA: -->THIS--> "As for centering: I don't give a crap. I care about my POI, not how pretty the slide looks."

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Gary and KMitch, thanks for posting. You're answers were helpful.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
In general, install sights from left to right. SIG sights have a slight chamfer on the leading edge to make installation easier. I don't know about other brands. Sight removal can be either way, however, it may be easier to remove them in the opposite direction, i.e. right to left.

As for centering: I don't give a crap. I care about my POI, not how pretty the slide looks. YMMV.

SightChamfer by GaryBF, on Flickr

One of the older bar sights too. I have a number of old sig sights, my eyes need the tritium or more typically the fiber optics or combination. Afraid at some point will need to go with the reflex sights on top. If someone had told me how bad this getting old stuff was before I would not have done it

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I look at the slide and see if I can tell by any sight channel scuff which direction they were installed from.
A recent thread about Sig sights delved into this very subject.

On a Glock it doesn't matter. (it's also a lot easier than some others)
Even though some might say L/R or R/L is correct, I haven't seen a lick of difference one way or the other in the quite a few Glock sight changes I've done.

ETA: -->THIS--> "As for centering: I don't give a crap. I care about my POI, not how pretty the slide looks."

That is correct you can usually tell by looking at the slide the factory installed, and push out the reverse way. That is what I do anyway. Installed several night sights that way.
Night sites installed on my Kimber Custom II

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post