SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    I got old or when did P220 springs change?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got old or when did P220 springs change? Login/Join 
posted
Tried to put a new 20lb spring into a W. German P220 yesterday. Couldn't force it in. I haven't seen a definitive date they changed the spring over, but see that in the old days they use to be 14# with the BDA .45 then up to 15#.

Does anyone know what spring I need and where I can buy it? Looks like Sig only has a 3 pack of 20lb ones for sale.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary - I'd seen the wolff site, but there were 2 issues. Which recoil spring should a W German P220 use, 15,16,17,18,19,or 20 - which I can't get in right now:-) Also, it's been said that the single coil springs can get caught up in the front (Bruce Gray reportedly is wary of them)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Is this the spring you tried?
https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...-p220r3-.45-red.html

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that one, that's the P220 Carry spring. I had one and it fit fine though:-) The one I couldn't get in was the green 20# P220 spring. https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...50-fs-.40-green.html

That guy. Is that the correct spring for a stamped slide W german P220 full sized?

Banned
posted Hide Post
One thing you might consider is the captured spring that GrayGuns has for full size P series so P220 and P226. They aren’t cheap, I got mine on a two for one deal they were having. One is in a W German P220 the other in a newer P220 ST. they are easy to get in and out. Are supposed to outlast the basic coil springs more details on the site Bruce hangs out on this forum

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
What is the age/serial number range of your P220? The change from the original 14# single strand recoil spring to the 15# braided affair occurred sometime around 1984 or so. Unfortunately, my research does not pinpoint a particular serial number. The current 20# green recoil spring was introduced in 1993 in conjunction with the reinforced receiver (at serial number G 211300). If your pistol shipped from the factory with the 15# braided spring, the new 20# green spring should fit your slide. If however your pistol is old enough to have had the 14# single strand spring, you will need to order a BDA spring from Wolff.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion about the different recoil springs, but I don’t know why someone with an old P220 wouldn’t want the current spring to reduce the slide velocity and battering effects on the frame. I didn’t understand the original post, though: The slide or recoil spring guide dimensions didn’t change, did they? If a new spring doesn’t fit, why is that? Confused

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Interesting discussion about the different recoil springs, but I don’t know why someone with an old P220 wouldn’t want the current spring to reduce the slide velocity and battering effects on the frame. I didn’t understand the original post, though: The slide or recoil spring guide dimensions didn’t change, did they? If a new spring doesn’t fit, why is that? Confused

There were in fact evolutionary changes to P220 slides - both internal and external. Not knowing the age of the OP's pistol it is difficult to determine the exact cause of their specific problem. In my experience, #15 and #20 braided recoil springs are interchangeable in pistols so designed. However, earlier pistols (pre ~1984) originally designed for the single strand recoil spring will not accept a braided recoil spring - regardless of weight.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several, have a Ernest Landon, #PC1610xx. Think those were 2004 or so.

A regular P220 #G2935xx and G2628xx seem to be the oldest. Was trying to get the spring into a slide I'd picked up as a spare via SigForum. Think it was @ 2622 something. The one says Made in Germany with logo stamp over the W. before the word Germany, so 1998.

Anyhow, the issue isn't that it's an oversized diameter, but that cranking it in seems extremely harder than I've felt before.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Several, have a Ernest Landon, #PC1610xx. Think those were 2004 or so.

A regular P220 #G2935xx and G2628xx seem to be the oldest. Was trying to get the spring into a slide I'd picked up as a spare via SigForum. Think it was @ 2622 something. The one says Made in Germany with logo stamp over the W. before the word Germany, so 1998.

Anyhow, the issue isn't that it's an oversized diameter, but that cranking it in seems extremely harder than I've felt before.

All of your P220's are of a vintage the new #20 spring should fit. The green spring is 33% heavier than its predecessor. It takes a little more effort to install. Good luck.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, was just asking.

Off to the gym.

Member!
posted Hide Post
The much older P220's have a smaller diameter spring channel (don't know the change dates though). My 1984 Euro model will not allow the Stranded coil spring without forcing it, but when forced in, it binds badly. I simply purchased a 20ish lb Wolff single strand recoil spring for it. No the single strand wont go poking though the front. Actually the stranded one I originally tried to use ended up with a single thin strand end poking out through the front and jamming up the slide good on the guide rod, before I forced it out..

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post