SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sight Picture #8/#8 = #6/#10?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight Picture #8/#8 = #6/#10? Login/Join 
posted
So, I want to make my Sig 220 shoot point of aim (where what I want to hit is just ON TOP of the front sight) as opposed to the stock "combat sight picture" (where the front sight covers what is to be shot). I see many places selling #8 front and #8 rear sight sets and I see a lot of advice saying to just change the rear sight to #10 (while leaving the front alone at #6). Does each combination, changing the front to #8 or the rear to #10, yield the same result?

Either way one of the two needs to be changed and, frankly, my 10 year-old SIG Lights need replaced so I'm buying a whole set so it isn't a matter of cost, front vs. rear. I'm just wondering if I should go 8/8 or 6/10 to get the desired sight picture.

Thanks.

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will be a 2" difference in POI at 25 yds between those two combinations.(8/8 and 6/10)

What sight numbers are on it now and what is the POI change that you want to make in inches at what distance?

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here, this is what you need to figure it out.

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Actually, what I want is POA at self-defense range, 7 yards.

I know it's apples to oranges trying to figure this out compared to the 50 yard SIG sight picture which is why I'm having such trouble.

posted Hide Post
The sight picture difference that you are referring to ("combat" vs what you want) amounts to maybe an inch at 7 yds, so I'm not sure that the sight picture is your only issue if it is any farther off than that.

posted Hide Post
Okay. So I need to come up just 1" at 7 yards? Seems like more to me based on my experience but I'm asking for help and won't argue.

Assuming your chart is based on 50 yards; 8/8 is center at 50 yards and 6/10 is 2" high at 50 yards... so 6 O'Clock hold?

All good info.

So, how do I use the chart to figure out the sight combination that's center mass at 7 yards?

Sorry, if I could figure this out on my own I wouldn't ask.

"I'm not a smart man" <--Forrest Gump voice.

posted Hide Post
The chart is based on 25 yds.

You need to shoot your pistol using your preferred sight picture and then determine how much of a correction you want to make and at what distance. Then use the chart to figure out what sight numbers to use to get you there.

I am under the impression that you have not shot it yet and are just assuming that it uses the "combat sight picture" (ridiculous term)and want to change it to what you prefer.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I need to come up just 1" at 7 yards?

At 7 yards, why bother?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will any SIG sights fit on any SIG pistol? Specifically, If I buy a #8/#8 set from Trijicon advertised for the 9mm and .357SIG will they fit the dovetails in my P220?

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
So I need to come up just 1" at 7 yards?

At 7 yards, why bother?

I was thinking the same. At 7 yards, think instinctive point shooting. In a self defense situation, the average person can traverse 21 ft in 2 seconds or less. That's just enough time for one to draw and shoot not enough time to align sights, on a moving/threatening target, no less.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Yes.

It's P-Series compatibility isn't it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Measure:
Okay. So I need to come up just 1" at 7 yards?

Are you asking telling us or asking us?

The first thing you need to do is aim it the way you want to aim it at the distance you want to zero for and shoot a good group. Measuring how far that group is from where you want it to be will let you (or us) calculate the numbers.

One thing I will caution is that if you really have the entire bulls eye (as opposed to just the top half of the bulls eye) sitting on top of the front sight post, then your zero will really only be good for that size bulls eye at that particular distance.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post