SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Magazine springs for the P228 - Two profiles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine springs for the P228 - Two profiles? Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted
I was going to order some new springs for my P228 13 round magazines that have worn. Wolff lists both a spring for use in magazines with double profile springs and one for single profile magazine springs. This is the first time I have seen there were two such profiles. Can anyone explain the difference between the two profiles so I can order the correct ones?

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am not certain, but I would guess that they are talking about springs made for original German magazines and springs made for the later OEM Mec-Gar manufactured magazines. The German magazines had an oval shaped dimple at the bottom of the magazine body and the spring had the same size coils throughout. The Mec-Gar OEM magazines had no dimple and had a spring that used different sized coils that would collapse into each other when loaded. (These are both 13 round magazines). The removal of the magazine body dimple coupled with a different follower and the spring with different sized coils is what allowed Mec-Gar to fit 15 rounds in their aftermarket magazines.

If I had to guess, this is what I bet they mean. Are your magazines the German dovetail/zipperback or the later OEM Mec-Gar?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I am not certain, but I would guess that they are talking about springs made for original German magazines and springs made for the later OEM Mec-Gar manufactured magazines. The German magazines had an oval shaped dimple at the bottom of the magazine body and the spring had the same size coils throughout. The Mec-Gar OEM magazines had no dimple and had a spring that used different sized coils that would collapse into each other when loaded. (These are both 13 round magazines). The removal of the magazine body dimple coupled with a different follower and the spring with different sized coils is what allowed Mec-Gar to fit 15 rounds in their aftermarket magazines.

If I had to guess, this is what I bet they mean. Are your magazines the German dovetail/zipperback or the later OEM Mec-Gar?

They're Mec-Gar. Unfortunately Wolff's website lists nothing more than what I posted. Tomorrow is Monday and a call to them is in order. Thanks for the help.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
you think wolf could do a better job explaining their product. I bet they get a lot of returns because it is confusing

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
what did they say?

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
My day went to h**# and they fell to the bottom of my list of priorities. I'll call them sometime this week to find out.