SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    How to Remove Stuck Thread Protector on P226?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Remove Stuck Thread Protector on P226? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I have an Octane 45 that was on my P226 for a while and then I bought a P220 and put the suppressor on there and the thread protector on the P226. They both have been in my safe climate controlled.

Today I decided to put the suppressor back on the P226 and I can’t get the thread protector off for the life of me. First I just tried with my hands and then using a pair of pliers. I have tried heating it up and soaked it in Free All for several hours. I don’t care about the protector anymore as I just want it off and can get a new one. I have then tried putting the gun in a vise and using vice-grips to turn it and still nothing!

Looking at the end of the barrel I am turning counter-clockwise. I am at a loss of how this is so stuck. It is not like I cranked down on it when I applied the thread protector. Any advice on how to get this off?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
To remove the thread protector on the P220 is to turn it counter-clockwise So that is why I figured it was no different on the P226. Well how wrong I was! I just went and decided to turn it clock-wise and it came off!

Why would they make one barrel turn one way and a different barrel turn another way????

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
European producers favor 13.5x1 LH threading for 9mm, whereas most US producers thread them in 1/2x28. I don’t know that there’s a rationale beyond historical tendency as to one thread pattern over another.

Same goes for .45, some European models use a LH thread vs. the American RH standard.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yep. Left hand threading. At least you know that threads are (or were) very robust.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post