SIGforum
How to Remove Stuck Thread Protector on P226?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/8360027374

August 21, 2020, 08:12 PM
StorminNormin
How to Remove Stuck Thread Protector on P226?
I have an Octane 45 that was on my P226 for a while and then I bought a P220 and put the suppressor on there and the thread protector on the P226. They both have been in my safe climate controlled.

Today I decided to put the suppressor back on the P226 and I can’t get the thread protector off for the life of me. First I just tried with my hands and then using a pair of pliers. I have tried heating it up and soaked it in Free All for several hours. I don’t care about the protector anymore as I just want it off and can get a new one. I have then tried putting the gun in a vise and using vice-grips to turn it and still nothing!

Looking at the end of the barrel I am turning counter-clockwise. I am at a loss of how this is so stuck. It is not like I cranked down on it when I applied the thread protector. Any advice on how to get this off?

NRA Benefactor Life Member
August 21, 2020, 08:33 PM
StorminNormin
To remove the thread protector on the P220 is to turn it counter-clockwise So that is why I figured it was no different on the P226. Well how wrong I was! I just went and decided to turn it clock-wise and it came off!

Why would they make one barrel turn one way and a different barrel turn another way????

NRA Benefactor Life Member
August 21, 2020, 09:59 PM
SigM4
European producers favor 13.5x1 LH threading for 9mm, whereas most US producers thread them in 1/2x28. I don’t know that there’s a rationale beyond historical tendency as to one thread pattern over another.

Same goes for .45, some European models use a LH thread vs. the American RH standard.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
August 23, 2020, 12:16 AM
flesheatingvirus
Yep. Left hand threading. At least you know that threads are (or were) very robust.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --