SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SP 2022 SIG Pro Magazine Catch swap to right side help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SP 2022 SIG Pro Magazine Catch swap to right side help Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
I did a quick forum search but didn't find a thread discussing this task...and while there are several You Tube videos on classic P22X series, P250, P320, & P365 Mag Catch swaps, I didn't find one for SIG Pros...and, frankly, I'm done burning my data plan watching "unboxings" and tubers discussing how they need to clean their "car guns" because they drink coffee and eat bananas while they drive.

I've removed the Mag Catch assembly on a P226 before, but I'm now working on a friend's new SIG Pro, so before I tackle the project I just wanted to check with the experts to see what I'm getting myself into. Looking at the SIG Pro Mag Catch it appears to be a similar assembly and process to a P22X ...but what do I know?

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My only exposure to the Pro series was in an armorer course nearly 20 years ago, but I believe its magazine catch is the same as has been used in all the polymer frame SIGs since then, including the P320.

If I am correct, to remove it requires releasing the plastic magazine catch “lock” that’s accessible from the side opposite the metal piece that’s depressed to drop the magazine. The procedure is described in the P320 manual, and I imagine there are videos that demonstrate it. One thing I’ve found to be helpful, though, is that I don’t just push in on the lock through the access hole, but also rotate the tool to help push the lock out of the catch. Just pushing in often doesn’t do it. I also found that using something sharp like a T-pin works better than a punch or paper clip, but the end of a paper clip could be sharpened to a point.

In any event, below is the page from my old armorer’s manual about the pro:

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
MagCatchRelease by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My only exposure to the Pro series was in an armorer course nearly 20 years ago, but I believe its magazine catch is the same as has been used in all the polymer frame SIGs since then, including the P320.

I used to own a SIG Pro and have shot both a P250 and a P320...and yet, after all these years, I've somehow missed the fact that all of SIG's polymer framed guns shared the same Mag. Catch....I've now got myself wondering what other shared parts across these platform that I'm not aware of. Smile

In any case, I'm happy to report success...although, not my finest hour as a shade tree gun smith as I managed to lightly ding the frame just aft of the Mag Catch (not to mention lightly scratching one of the magazine tube bodies and the floor plate... those Checkmate magazine Base Pads are wedged on ridiculously tight (I had to tap them off with a hammer).

GaryBF, Sigfreund...gentlemen, thanks for your ever-helpful tips! Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post