SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Which recoil spring to use?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which recoil spring to use? Login/Join 
posted
I decided to replace the recoil spring in a couple of my 229's.

The great majority of the time I shoot 357sig through them.

Looking at the Wolf Springs Web site, from what I can tell, they state that a 17lb spring is best for .357sig while a 16lb spring is recommended for .40s&w.

From what I can tell, Top Gun Supply uses the oem blue spring that is used for both 357/40.

My carry ammo is Underwood. So, at least every couple of months I'll put a few mags of that through my Sigs.

My questions are, which recoil spring do you folks use and recommend. And why?

Posts: 393 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
If you're not using low-powered ammo, I'd stick with the factory blue springs. They were designed for full power ammo in that gun. If you were tuning the gun to try and change the way it recoils, then I might consider changing weights with Wolff springs.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Overheard at an actual match:
"Tapers! Come on, guys, we need tapers!"
"No, my name's Gonzales."

Posts: 4782 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I agree with JAFO. That erroneous 357/40 claim by Wolff is one reason why I am less than impressed with their recommendations and prefer to use factory springs. Although I won’t hold him to it, I also believe that Bruce Gray says the multi-strand springs aren’t just for looks.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36355 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Sidebar: I thought SIG replaced the blue spring with an improved violet or purple colored spring. That's what I have in my notes. What happened?

Posts: 10537 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again folks for all your help!

I'll be ordering bunch of those multi strand recoil rods soon.

Posts: 393 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post