SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Question on Folded German slides and +p ammo

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Folded German slides and +p ammo Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
Picture of Ronin101
posted
I recently had a discussion on a facebook sig group about folded slides.

A gentleman was stating that 226 carbon slides would shear off of the breech block when fed a diet of +P ammo and that's why they went to stainless milled slides. I feel that most European ammo is considered +P

My belief is that there was no such problem and the stainless slides came into effect for 40/357sig and it was just easier to make them the same way.

who is right?

also what would the results be if this were to happen?

Posts: 6260 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
would shear off of the breech block
Confused

I don’t know what that means, but I know of no restrictions on using +P ammunition with older Classic line SIGs. I wouldn’t use +P in the early “mud rail” P226s, but then I wouldn’t shoot them at all if I wanted to keep such a gun for posterity.

Years ago when I attended my first factory armorer course, I asked about an ejection issue I was having with a P225 and the very knowledgeable instructor said to shoot hotter ammunition because that was what the gun was designed for. +P ammunition was in use long before SIG switched the P226 slide to stainless steel; did you ask him how he knows that that was the supposed reason for the switch? What about the fact that SIG abandoned the carbon steel slides for all their models; was that due to the use of +P ammunition? Roll Eyes

Grayguns offers a heavier recoil spring for the 9mm P226, so if I were going to shoot much +P stuff through one, that’s one thing I’d use. I’d also replace the recoil spring every 2500-3000 rounds and the roll pins that hold the breechblock in the slide every 5000 rounds.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36191 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
Picture of Ronin101
posted Hide Post
no he basically stated that they shear off and the breach block separates. But I have never heard or ready anything of the sort.

But I am no armorer

Posts: 6260 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
no he basically stated that they shear off and the breach block separates...

Still makes no sense what that means. But, whatever. The guy was blowing plenty of hot air, there.

Posts: 11515 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
We were taught in the SIG armorer schools that any SAAMI or NATO spec ammo was approved for use in SIG pistols, folded slide or one piece milled. No difference in approved ammo. Our local police department issues +P ammo for officers carrying 9MMs. Some carried the folded slide SIGs. All the guns came through the armory once a year for inspection,repair,etc. I never saw any indication of increased wear or damage due to use of +P ammo.

COTEP #640, NRA Life

Posts: 891 | Location: Out West | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post