SIGforum
MPX Issues

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/8190066744

September 29, 2018, 10:32 AM
cphammer
MPX Issues
I am posting this in attempt to save MPX owners some frustration.
I own an early Gen2 MPX, but have not shot it much. Early on I attributed malfunction problems to the weapon not being "broken in". However, the malfunction in question, dropped extraction failure to eject, never went away after a sufficient frustrating period. After a recent range visit I did decide to look more in depth of the problem. Since my magazines were relatively new I stored them for several days full and proceded to thouroughly cleaning the weapon and piston system. Everything appeared to function correctly. I then ran several snap caps through an extraction test and each time the weapon functioned correctly. Returning to the range the weapon once again failed.
Although, the extractor appeared fine I felt that tension on the extractor arm was weak. I called Sig and was informed that the extractor spring was a normal AR spring. So once again I stripped down the bolt and removed the extractor and spring. Comparing to the spring to another AR spring I noticed that the original MPX spring was indeed shorter than the AR spring. I replaced the MPX spring with the spare AR spring and grommet and headed back to the range. Wouldn't you know it it functioned flawlessly at slow and high rate of fire with multiple types of ammo.
So for MPX owners who are experiencing FTE issues check your extractor springs and good luck. I do have pictures of the malfunction as well as pictures of the original spring if anyone would like comparison.
September 29, 2018, 08:08 PM
thomjb
Thanks for sharing this

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member
September 29, 2018, 08:26 PM
DSgrouse
Nice , thank you
October 19, 2018, 12:37 PM
BloodyThumb
I would like to see the pics please. I will email you if you do not mind sending to my email. Thanks

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.
October 19, 2018, 03:08 PM
cphammer
I emailed 2 images to compare the springs to your email in your profile.
Sent a second email of the malfunction as well.
October 19, 2018, 04:39 PM
BloodyThumb
Got em. Thank you sir!

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.
October 19, 2018, 08:38 PM
DC3S
Thanks for the info. Can you please send me the pics also.

Cheers.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."
November 05, 2018, 07:06 AM
cphammer
So out of selfish curiosity has anybody checked their extractor springs and found faulty weak springs? If so, have you replaced those springs and received better performance?
After my contact with SIG I received a replacement spring which was significantly stiffer and more consistent with a standard AT spring.