SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Glock "Phase 3 Malfunction?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock "Phase 3 Malfunction?" Login/Join 
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted

Google photos link

This is an older gen 2. The malfunction always happens after the first round of a full mag (so, after firing the "+1" round in the chamber), and it happens with most of my mags. Ammo used so far is Federal 115 FMJ Champion, Federal HST 124 +P, Geco 124 FMJ, MEN9B FMJ, and S&B 115 FMJ.

The round being fed from the mag never makes it fully into the chamber. So, the gun isn't locked up. I drop the mag, retract the slide, and shake the empty out. But I feel like it *might* lock up if I was to just tap rack without looking at what's going on... The empty is kinda jammed between the breech face and the extractor claw just enough to hold it in place, and require jiggling the casing out...

It almost looks like a short stroke, but I assure you I'm not limp wristing the gun, and the ammo is quality stuff. This gun had several hundred trouble free rounds through it before I sent it to Glock recently to have the relief cut added to the frame. The irony is not lost on me, BTW.

Thoughts?

Posts: 474 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
I'll have to fix my link later. Sorry about that.

The empty is always horizontal, BTW. Never a classic "smoke stack."

Posts: 474 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More info please.

1) What model?

2) Relief cut added to frame. Is that under the trigger guard? Or something else?

3) Anything else done by Glock or by you after the gun came back?

If you're using mags filled to capacity, try reducing by one and see what happens.

Try a new RSA perhaps.

Just tossing out some random ideas...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Try downloading your magazine 2 rounds and see if it still happens.
If not, upward pressure from the loaded rounds is causing drag on the underside of the slide.
If that's the issue, try topping off a few mags and leave them loaded for a few weeks to break the magazine spring in.
Also, use more lube on the slide rails! Most Glocks are dry as a bone.
Other options/contributing factors:
New RSA? Leave the slide locked back to soften the spring up.
Aftermarket RSA? Go to a lighter recoil spring.

Luck!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
More info please.

1) What model?

2) Relief cut added to frame. Is that under the trigger guard? Or something else?

3) Anything else done by Glock or by you after the gun came back?

If you're using mags filled to capacity, try reducing by one and see what happens.

Try a new RSA perhaps.

Just tossing out some random ideas...

G19
Relief cut is on the frame internal behind the locking block
Nothing else done by me. Bone stock gun
Recoil spring has maybe 1k on it...

As for the other question posed - this does not happen with downloaded mags. It's just peculiar that it started all of a sudden, and the gun ran fine before with all the same mages loaded to capacity. I actually had left these mags loaded for about a month due to the same suspicion of friction on the slide... Didn't seem to help any.

Appreciate the replies. I think I'll swap parts out piecemeal to try and isolate the cause. Maybe start with the ejector housing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeyBones7:
It's just peculiar that it started all of a sudden, and the gun ran fine before with all the same mages loaded to capacity.

Perhaps it is something as simple as needing to clean the slide rails and add a drop of oil.

I'm always amazed at how many pistols I run across that are so dry they squeak.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
Yeah I mean the gun was clean and lubed appropriately.

And also, it's a Glock. I've run them pretty close to dry before with no malfunctions.

As long as the barrel , lug, connector, and rails are slightly shiny and not totally degreased, the guns normally work.

Again, I appreciate the replies.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional info.

quote:

I'm no Glock expert. What is the purpose of this mod?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Older 2-pin gen 2 frames were apparently somewhat more prone to cracking under high round counts unless sent back to Glock to have a relief cut milled into the frame just behind where the locking block slides in.

"Newer" gen 2 frames included this cut from the factory. My 1996 gen 2 has the cut from the factory, but this 1994 gun was sent back just a few weeks ago to have it added, free of charge.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeyBones7:
quote:

quote:

Older 2-pin gen 2 frames were apparently somewhat more prone to cracking under high round counts unless sent back to Glock to have a relief cut milled into the frame just behind where the locking block slides in.

"Newer" gen 2 frames included this cut from the factory. My 1996 gen 2 has the cut from the factory, but this 1994 gun was sent back just a few weeks ago to have it added, free of charge.

Thanks. Every day I learn something new is a good day...

The plot thickens. You wouldn't think that would affect functioning. Maybe a call to Glock. If it was reliable before and wasn't reliable after and nothing else was changed, it definitely seems related. No idea why though. Maybe Glock does.

Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
Welp, I've replaced every frame component with brand new OEM parts, as well as the extractor.

Hope to test it this weekend...

Picture of Ofc.JR
posted Hide Post
Try a new recoil spring. And check extractor for clean and no bind, also if extractor spring assm'y is in backwards.
Dis-assemble whole gun and go back slowly, checking fit and function of components as you go.
Wish I could get it into my hands. I could fault trace it pretty quick, I believe.
Gen 2 19's are pretty bulletproof performers, they just run and run.
Good luck.

"Cry Havoc and let slip..."
"Sic Semper Tyrannis!!"

Posts: 46 | Location: High Plains of Texas | Registered: December 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
Only thing I haven't swapped out yet on the whole pistol is the firing pin... More of this today:

https://goo.gl/photos/4Dc7mnBGUGmXzix57

So frustrating.... This gun used to run like a top.

Guess I'll have to dust off my other Gen 2 G19....

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I see this problem often in Glocks with novice students, due to a poor grip. You are obviously an experienced shooter so we can probably rule that out. I have also found the problem caused by a dirty gun where there was crud built up under the extractor, or with a gun that was dry. Somewhere the fallacy got started that you don't need to lube a Glock, which is untrue, they need lube like everything else. If it is cleaned, lubed, the extractor is OK and the recoil spring (a prime suspect) is OK, I would have to tear the gun down to look closer to find out what is retarding the slide.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were other mods to glock 19's because of the phase 3 malfunctions. 1 was a change to the magazine followers. The other was an opening to the ejection port. It was opened up angle wise near the extractor. Try a new magazine. I forget the number of the new follower. But it the follower on the current magazine

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post