SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 failure to "click"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 failure to "click"? Login/Join 
posted
Okay, maybe it's operator error again. Sometimes when I remove the slide and put it back the trigger pulls back but the fire control click is different. If I pull the slide fully rearward, push up on the slide lock, and then ease the slide forward the click goes back to the way it should after the first louder click. I have the SIG Large frame for the full sized P320 9mm.

It would seem like something isn't as tight, or is too tight. Or I'm just confused. Thoughts?

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leam:

It would seem like something isn't as tight, or is too tight. Or I'm just confused?

all of it.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Normal.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I believe the difference in the loudness of the clicks is due to whether the striker is reset and “energized” (as SIG puts it) before pulling the trigger. If it is, the striker goes forward to hit the cartridge primer or dry fires and makes the louder noise. If it isn’t “energized” something else happens without sending the striker forward. You can experience that by just pulling the trigger without cycling the slide.

Even though I’m somewhat familiar with the P320, I haven’t completely analyzed what happens with the trigger pull in both situations.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a long, detailed thread from March. If you're confused after delving into it, you're not alone.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935&m=7240058024

Generally, some P320's have the audible double click and some don't. Some will double click, but not consistently. Appears to be related to manner of trigger manipulation. Apart from lack of consistency and aggravation, it's not a problem. As long as the gun goes bang.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue isn't the difference between a "cocked" click and a second click after subsequent trigger pull, but sometimes the first or any won't click the same at all and I'm pretty sure the striker release bit in the fire control mechanism isn't moving up and down.

I figured out how to duplicate the sound difference on mine. If you remove the slide and rotate the takedown lever to its normal firing positions, a trigger pull makes a slight click If I life UP on the slide lock lever something clicks and then the fire control click is much louder. Still not as much as a fully engaged striker release, but more.

Hope that makes sense.

Addendum: The click I'm referring to is from the fire control mechanism, not the trigger pull itself. The gun does not "fire" after I put the slide back on unless I push the slide release UP, and then let it come back down.

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you having issues with it when actually shooting it?

Have you tried doing what you are doing with the use of snap caps?

The magazine spring puts upward pressure on the slide with a charged magazine installed, so things act differently.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP229, haven't tried it when out shooting. Did just try inserting a magazine with snap caps. Until the upward motion of the slide release is done, when the gun is doing the "dull click", a magazine cannot be inserted fully. Once the slide is brought back and the release lever pushed up the mag can seat.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have lost my way in some of this discussion, but the P320 has a “takedown safety lever” that does a couple of things. It prevents rotating the takedown lever (TDL) if a magazine is in the gun and prevents inserting a magazine if the TDL is rotated down to the takedown position. With the slide off but with the TDL up to its normal operating position, if I push the slide catch lever down, that will cause a click as the takedown safety lever is released to its normal position as well.

The takedown safety lever’s functions and not having to pull the trigger before disassembling the pistol are all part of SIG’s intent to make it less likely that someone will have an unintentional discharge when getting ready to maintain the gun.

As I say, I can’t follow all of what’s going on here, but sometimes clicks happen when parts move from one position to another, and sometimes that can be intermittent. All that’s really important is that the gun functions normally as it should.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried it on a gun ship gun today, same effect.

With an EMPTY GUN, No magazine or ammo, Pull the trigger a couple times. If the striker was set the first click will be louder, then the rest will be quieter but still click.

Pull the slide back. Rotate the take down lever Clockwise, then bring the slide forward off the frame.

Put the slide back on and hold it back with your hand, not with the slide catch. Rotate the take down lever back to operational position.

Pull the trigger. It should sound quieter Life up on the slide catch and it will return to the normal click.

posted Hide Post
What happens if you just charge up a magazine and shoot it?

Does it function properly?

The fact that you went to a gun shop and tried another P320 and it did the same makes me wonder.

There seem to be a number of analytical threads on P320's. Some where the slide moves around when dry firing, some with the "double click" trigger, and now this one.

They all seem to function properly when shooting, though...

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No range time for a few days. However, my bet is that if I did what I described above it would not fire. Also, note that until you lift the slide release levers you can't insert a magazine anyway.

Something gets reset when the slide latch goes up, mine clicks loudly. I just haven't been able to see what it is.

posted Hide Post
When you reassemble the pistol are you pulling the slide back and locking it in place with the slide catch before rotating the take down lever?

Having originally been used to 220's, 225's and 228's I would always put the slide on, pull it back and then rotate the take down lever. With the P320 I tried that and got the dull click you mentioned. I'm fairly certain in the manual it says to lock the slide in place with the slide catch before rotating the take down lever. Once I started doing that I haven't had any problems.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
ONLY reassemble the pistol with the slide locked back using the slide release lever. Failing to do so bypasses the takedown safety lever reset function, yielding the user-induced malfunction described.

Operating the pistol as designed and described in the owner's safety manual irons out such
nonissues. Congrats on your new P320! You'te going to love it.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Listen to Mr. Gray...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have never seen such an obsession in the firearms community over how many times a gun "clicks", when it doesn't click, is it supposed to click, how many times is it supposed to click, etc.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have never seen such an obsession in the firearms community over how many times a gun "clicks", when it doesn't click, is it supposed to click, how many times is it supposed to click, etc.

"Doesn't click" here means it doesn't fire at all. Usually a bad thing for a gun.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leam:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

"Doesn't click" here means it doesn't fire at all. Usually a bad thing for a gun.

Have you actually attempted to shoot it?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, the probleam is how you reassemble. As Bruce said, if you hold the slide back and turn the takedown without using the slide catch, you are reassembling incorrectly and causing the malfunction.

So that you may understand better you can do the following, but I'll preface this by saying you should not do the following. If you do and something bad happens, not my fault:
Make sure the pistol is unloaded and clear.
Check it again.
Take the slide off the pistol by locking it back, turning the takedown lever down and releasing the slide forward, off the frame.
Look down into the magwell towards the front of the pistol. You will see a small tab on the left side protruding from the slide catch lever, which would interface with the mag follower to lift the catch when empty, locking the slide back. Below that will be another tab sticking into the magwell. That is the safety mechanism that prevents a magazine from being inserted. If you follow that part up (vertically), you will see yet another small tab sticking up vertically and a hole in the cross member of the ambi slide catch lever. The tab will be to the rear of the hole.
Rotate the takedown lever up as if you were locking the slide back on.
Push up on the slide catch. It will click as the mag safety mechanism retracts and as you let the slide catch return, you'll note that vertical tab is in the hole. You can also now insert a magazine. That bar also wraps around the magwell and interfaces with the sear. I haven't taken the FCU apart or studied it enough to figure out how, but my guess is when it's blocking the magazine, it also disengages sear interface. Lifting the slide catch retracts the safety mechanism, allows the mag to be inserted and re-engages the sear interface.

By reassembling incorrectly, you're not allowing this to occur. That is why you don't get your striker cocked and released (your loud click) and can't insert a magazine.

Now to reassemble your pistol:
Remove the magazine if you put it in.
Press up on the slide catch and hold it up as you rotate the takedown lever down as you would to remove the slide.
Put the slide back on the frame and lock it back using the slide catch.
Rotate the takedown lever back up.
Re-verify the pistol is unloaded and release the slide.
Double check to make sure the pistol is clear.
Function check.

Again, I don't recommend doing any of this. I only am telling you in hopes you understand that you are causing the problem, and that you should follow the proper procedures outlined in your owners manual. Additionally, please forgive any inaccuracies in my descriptions; those that have more knowledge than me, feel free to correct me.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BuddyChryst I really appreciate your detailed explanation, thanks!

The initial concern was due to taking the pistol down for cleaning and then it wouldn't activate the firing mechanism. Knowing that the issue was how I worked the mechanism is fine. The manual does state how to do it and I'm not really interested in messing things up.