SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Loose gas key
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose gas key Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I was having some minor short stroking problems with my 11.5" AR shooting it unsuppressed. No problem suppressed. I figured it was just getting dirty so I took it apart to clean it.
The gas key is loose. Rattling loose. The staking job looks half hearted.
Should I:
1) return the carrier to the LGS and get a new one?
2) order new fasteners and reinstall it?
3) order a new gas key, new fasteners and a staking tool?

Probably less than 300 rounds through this carrier.

What would you do?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Are the parts damaged? Why buy more?

I've never had one of mine loosen up but I would be inclined to tighten it, properly stake it and carry on.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
I'd be inclined to look at the end of the gas tube and see if any misalignment damage occurred there. Replacement of the fasteners would set my mind at ease about future potential failure of the screws. Its easy enough to stake a fastener. Overall this would be an easy DYI project.

Replacing the gas tube would be more work but not beyond the scope of anyone mechanically inclined.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
New Frontier Armory replaced it, no questions asked.
That's why I use them for everything Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Last year I built three side-charging AR with receivers and BCGs from Bear Creek Arsenal (BCA).

Over Thanksgiving we were shooting one side-charging AR and I observed that the BCG was losing gas.
(failure to fully eject). After disassembly I found that the bolt-staking screws on the key had come loose. The screws on this one weren't as fully staked as the other BCGs I had gotten from them.
While this is a pretty straightforward fix, I didn't have a inch-pound torque wrench. Since these Bear Creek Arsenal receiver components have a lifetime warranty, I figured it was worthwhile following up on with BCA.

I contacted them via email the following day. Their quality manger got back in touch with me within two hours and emailed me a prepaid return UPS shipping label. Got a package back (within a week) containing a brand spanking new complete Bolt-carrier group.

Excellent customer service and a great company to deal with. Bear Creek Arsenal is located in Sanford, NC.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post