SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Loose gas key

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose gas key Login/Join 
posted
Hey all-

I was having some minor short stroking problems with my 11.5" AR shooting it unsuppressed. No problem suppressed. I figured it was just getting dirty so I took it apart to clean it.
The gas key is loose. Rattling loose. The staking job looks half hearted.
Should I:
1) return the carrier to the LGS and get a new one?
2) order new fasteners and reinstall it?
3) order a new gas key, new fasteners and a staking tool?

Probably less than 300 rounds through this carrier.

What would you do?

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2414 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
Picture of KMitch200
posted Hide Post
Are the parts damaged? Why buy more?

I've never had one of mine loosen up but I would be inclined to tighten it, properly stake it and carry on.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 2163 | Location: AZ - West side of the valley | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
I'd be inclined to look at the end of the gas tube and see if any misalignment damage occurred there. Replacement of the fasteners would set my mind at ease about future potential failure of the screws. Its easy enough to stake a fastener. Overall this would be an easy DYI project.

Replacing the gas tube would be more work but not beyond the scope of anyone mechanically inclined.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...

Posts: 835 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Frontier Armory replaced it, no questions asked.
That's why I use them for everything Smile

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2414 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post