SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 and light primer strikes.

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 and light primer strikes. Login/Join 
posted
I have an older folded slide P226 9mm that I love. It has been sent to Sig back in 2010 and had the armorers there do an AEP, SRT, barrel recrowned, and the E2 grips attached. It is such smooth and accurate shooter.

However, every once in a while(sometimes more than others) I get light primer strikes. I shoot mostly my reloads. I always use CCI primers. Every once in a great while factory ammo.

What spring do I need to change out to get rid of this light primer strike occurance?

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 2219 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent my m11 in for the aep when got it back, I noticed some lite primer strikes with a misfire in about 1 out of 50 Federal xm892 ammo. I called Sig and they suggested I send the pistol back to be checked.
Being that this is a one year old pistol, I declined that offer. It wasn't heavily used, and didn't have the issue before.
What I noticed was that the hammer strut spring ( main spring) was painted yellow. I was told it's an enhanced Main spring. I removed the paint, put clp on it and reinserted the strut and spring. I also used some compressed air to blow out the firing pin channel. I've put 350 rounds of variou rounds thru it since then withou a hiccup.

Hope it helps

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueinterceptor,

Posts: 394 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI: Since it is a folded steel slide and 7 years removed from SIG service, you may want to check the roll pins that are securing the breech block. Can you detect and looseness in the breech block? Do the roll pins seem secure? If those check out, it may be time to install a new mainspring. Cleaning the firing pin channel is also a good idea.

Posts: 10537 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To reiterate the advice by GaryBF, new mainspring. The yellow paint mainspring is less powerful than the standard spring used in DA/SA pistols and I experienced many light strike misfires when I experimented with one. The lighter spring results in a lighter and possibly smoother trigger, but lighter hammer force = possibility of misfires.

Added: I just noticed that I was reading the wrong post when I commented about the yellow paint mainspring. To the OP, the advice from the other posters is all good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36354 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
The older gun and an SRT install raise a red flag to me. Check the firing pin block safety.

Gun empty, cock, push on FP with a stick etc, FP should only go in a little. Pull trigger until it stages against sear. If FP goes in at this point, all is well, but I'm guessing it may not.

Apply some back pressure on hammer, but not enough to lift it off sear. Continue pulling trigger slowly - does FP "unblock" before sear release? Check this several times to be sure. At the very latest, FP must unblock at sear release if not a little before.

I had one older P229 that would not fire at all after SRT install. The safety lever was not pushing FP block plunger up high enough to clear FP.

On another P229 with intermittent FTF, there was impact peening to FP block plunger from repeated hits from FP. I made new safety levers with higher lift to fix. Pics available if desired.

Posts: 1126 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Another consideration is that CCI's are hard primers. A lighter mainspring combined with those primers may be the problem. However, since it only happens once and a while, have you examined your reloads for high primers? If a primer is not fully seated in the case, some of the firing pin energy goes into fully seating it, and that can cause the primer to not ignite.

I second inspecting the roll pins. I had them break on my folded slide 226 and it caused light strikes. I could tell they were broken because the breech block could be wiggled just a bit. There should be no movement of the breech block in the slide.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Overheard at an actual match:
"Tapers! Come on, guys, we need tapers!"
"No, my name's Gonzales."

Posts: 4780 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I had some time to exam the P226 giving me the occasional light primer strikes. The breech block is in there right. No movement whatsoever. I did the FP exam like suggested and no problems there. I took off the e2 grips and noticed the spring did not have yellow paint. Looks nice and new with the plastic bottom part.

What say you? New mainspring/hammer spring?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
However, every once in a while(sometimes more than others) I get light primer strikes. I shoot mostly my reloads.

(As JAFO also mentioned above)

Since you are shooting your reloads...Perhaps every once in a while you run into a primer that is not fully seated.

Do they usually fire on the second hit?

Posts: 1128 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes they do fire on the second strike. I will check my hand loads to see if I have some high primers.