SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stiffening thumb safety on P220 SAO Legion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stiffening thumb safety on P220 SAO Legion Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
The safety lever on my P220 SAO Legion is a bit too easy to disengage for my taste. Looking for a fix to tighten it up a bit, advice appreciated.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you replaced the spring (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/34220063-R)?

You might also check the tightness of the thumb safeties’ pivot point within the recessed hole in the frame (at the location of the hammer stop pin). But, hopefully a new spring will provide a more certain engagement.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I solved the problem by slightly bending the spring in the direction of the safety lever. Now I get a positive "snap" and like it much better. Still ordered new springs, though

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you had disassembled, might check to ensure that you fully snapped that left side onto the right side’s cross pin in order to have the two sides as close as possible to the frame and to expose enough of that cross pin for the spring to press against.

Also, I find it easier to first install the right grip panel (to better secure the right side of the safety assembly) before placing the spring. I engage the safeties, position the spring into its recessed space, and then disengage the safeties to snap that spring into its tensioned position.

If you leave off the right grip panel, the above process can still be done but the available wiggle with the right safety yields a less-secure placement of the spring.

But, good to have a couple of those springs on hand.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post