SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig sight tool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig sight tool Login/Join 
Picture of bare bones
posted
I purchased a sight tool from a forum member and, upon arrival, commended the seller on the condition of the tool in question. Then I put it away and promptly forgot about it till I got a new set of sights and went to change the.
I putzed around with them after first reading the instructions, but nothing was working. After closer inspection I determined that thepeice that held the slide in position within the clamp was too wide for my P229. Iguess my question is; do I just file it to fit, or are there other factory parts that would make the tool more adaptable?

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1199 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Whoa, not so fast. Please tell us or show us exactly what tool you purchased. You shouldn't have to file anything. The most common tool for P series SIGs is the Maryland Gun Works (MGW) 307, which has a blue-colored frame.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
If it looks like this, it should work fine.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Whoa, not so fast. Please tell us or show us exactly what tool you purchased. You shouldn't have to file anything. The most common tool for P series SIGs is the Maryland Gun Works (MGW) 307, which has a blue-colored frame.

My 307 MGW is black, but I have used it on P220 226, 229. It says to oil both ends of shaft before use and that is great advice. Does make an awful crack sometimes especially on the carbon slides but there should be no need to file anything UNLESS is not a sig sight. However. Most of the aftermarket sights can be installed with the 307 i know enough people have borrowed my sight pusher over the years for all kinds of sights on their P series

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

My 307 MGW is black, but I have used it on P220 226, 229. It says to oil both ends of shaft before use and that is great advice. Does make an awful crack sometimes especially on the carbon slides but there should be no need to file anything UNLESS is not a sig sight. However. Most of the aftermarket sights can be installed with the 307 i know enough people have borrowed my sight pusher over the years for all kinds of sights on their P series

Does say not for use on sig pro models

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
OK Guys. My sight tool is gold in color with dark or black threaded moving parts. The only markings on the tool are "Front" and graduation markings.
It was accompanied with a plasticized card from Sigarms with instructions for the use of:
"Sig Sauer Universal sight Adjustment tool"

Short of adding the instructions themselves, there is little that I can add. I have dis-assembled the locking plate assembly and tried fitting the locking plate itself. It is just too wide.

Posts: 1199 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
JAFO, the instruction paper you show in your picture appears to be an exact picture of my sight tool.
I think I sent you a picture of it on your gmail acct.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Shown is a page from the 2006 SIG catalog. You apparently were sold an early tool which is gold in color. The text clearly states that it will work with the P229.

2006SIGcat by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Here is the OP's picture of his sight tool...

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
The clamp that holds the slide is meant to go into the rail grooves, so it is wider than the bottom edges of the slide. Have you loosened it enough so that it can be pushed up to meet the slide rail grooves?

Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
JAFO thanks for posting the picture. Regardless of what the article from 2006 says, it does not fit my 229 elite .

Yes, I have. To the extent that I dis-assembled it and the part is too wide to fit the groove and is also too wide where it would ride the edges of the slide.

Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
I think, at this point, I will call sig and see if they offer a replacement part for the slide. If not, i"ll either file it to fit my late model 229 or sell it with a clear disclaimer. Or just give it away to a local smith.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bare bones:
I think, at this point, I will call sig and see if they offer a replacement part for the slide. If not, i"ll either file it to fit my late model 229 or sell it with a clear disclaimer. Or just give it away to a local smith.

I have had my different sight pusher for at least 10 years. Interesting but that doesn’t help you, sorry. Do you have other sigs or know people that do? Curious if it will fit the P226 and if it does should fit the 220 and by rights should also fit the 229.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ad that shows the gold one does include in its list some of the sig pro models whereas the one I has specifically says not for those models. Not quite universal sig sight tools then are they? maddening.

posted Hide Post
bare bones,

Definitely do not file anything down. I am quite certain that you have the SigPro (only) version of the sight adjustment tool. I have it, and it looks EXACTLY the same (also gold in color). The sloped inner sides are designed to fit the canted SigPro slide. P220, P226, P228, and P229 slides are too wide at top and do NOT fit in this tool. Also the included locking plate "shoe" does not fit the classic P-series slide grooves either.

Somehow, the operating instructions were switched or inadvertently mixed up, because you can see in the diagram that it is depicted with parallel inner sides. My instruction card for the SigPro version is drawn with sloped sides.

You will have to procure a different P-series specific sight adjustment tool for your P229. The blue (or black if made by MGW and sold by SIG) one with a wider opening and parallel inner sides will work 100%. Perhaps you can sell your sight tool to someone who needs a SigPro version.

I can't comment on the 2006 SIG ad that GaryBF posted. It sure does look like what you and I have -- but I can tell you my classic P-series slides absolutely do not fit in it.

MudPhud

Posts: 41 | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have dis-assembled the locking plate assembly and tried fitting the locking plate itself. It is just too wide.

Want to borrow mine?

Test my locking plate in your tool if the vertical shaft size is the same or use my sight tool.
If nothing else you get the sights installed and will know what size plate to order if you want to go that route.
Shoot an email my way if you want.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
Thanks KMitch200, I'll keep that in mind if my guy at Sig, who is digging around the parts bins in the custom shop doesn't come up with anything.