SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Help! Stripped Hex Grip Screw on my 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Stripped Hex Grip Screw on my 229 Login/Join 
posted
I bought a set of hex head grip screws off eBay, and they are junk! I managed to strip the head on one of them bad, it's in there nice and tight with a rounded hole...I have a nice set of Hogue G10 grips on this pistol and don't want to mess them up trying to cut into the screw if I can...ideas or any help on backing this rounded out screw out would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 127 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I have had success using a strip of a thin rubber band pushed into the screw's head. Pushing into the band/screw head and turning with the screwdriver/bit may get enough traction to move it.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
You could try a small screw extractor:

https://www.mactools.com/en-us...ine-Screw-Extractors

Or a similar tool:

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Screw...ies-Tools/1922672115

Good luck!

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had luck using the next size up torx bit , tap it into the hex head and let it bite.

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Screw extractors work if they can be seated deep enough. You might have to drill into the socket to provide the extra depth. Use a sharp drill bit smaller in diameter than the screw. However, those screws are pretty small threaded shaft diameter.

Caveat* Do this only if you're confident you can drill perfectly straight, so as to not damage the threads in the frame.

Whenever someone has this issue, someone else will inevitably suggest epoxying or gluing the hex head wrench into the fastener. It doesn't work. You cannot get sufficient adhesive into the fastener and around the tool.

There are left handed drill bits that might work. Drill into the damaged fastener and the reverse cut bit should back the fastener out. Lubricant helps but you probably won't be able to easily apply it. Again, be careful to drill perfectly straight.

Good luck with it. The services of a gunsmith might be worth it. The grip might have to be sacrificed.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Place the grip frame in the freezer overnight and then try unscrewing with whatever bites into the head. All that costs you is some time.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Elmer’s suggestion has worked for me, in the past.

I’d also suggest you put a bit of penetrating oil on the tip end of the screw where it’s visible in the magazine well, and give it time to work its way into the threads before any further efforts to remove the screw.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Go out and put a couple hundred rounds through it- neve fails to loosen the screws up on my Sig's Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've never tried this but I wonder if an allen wrench epoxied into the screw would work.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Aren't grip screws intentionally made from soft alloy to avoid stripping out the frame threads? Better to strip out a screw than a frame.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmer:
I have had luck using the next size up torx bit , tap it into the hex head and let it bite.

I had this problem on a P228 and did the above. With a little elbow grease and hammering the torx bit into the screw, it came right out.

Back to slotted grip screws as the it seems like all of the hex heads eventually do this.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use purple Loctite on all my grip screws, instead of high torque. Never had one work loose. The purple is "reusable". You can get the screw out with only a little effort, and the threads clean easily with acetone for reuse.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by druryj:
I bought a set of hex head grip screws off eBay, and they are junk! I managed to strip the head on one of them bad, it's in there nice and tight with a rounded hole...I have a nice set of Hogue G10 grips on this pistol and don't want to mess them up trying to cut into the screw if I can...ideas or any help on backing this rounded out screw out would be very much appreciated.

I have had such instances in the past. I took the gun to a smith who used a thin cut-off wheel in a Dremel-style tool to cut a straight slot across the screw head. I told him to sacrifice the grips if necessary; the grips survived. And that was also the last time I've used hex-head grip screws.

Posts: 41 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: August 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Get some blackened stainless socket head grip screws. They don't strip nearly as easy as cheap steel ones do. As far as getting the stripped ones out, the Torx wrench trick is the one that's worked for me in the past.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
left hand drill bit and if that doesn't do much extractor of the correct size. Don't buy cheap fasteners on ebay.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
left hand drill bit and if that doesn't do much extractor of the correct size. Don't buy cheap fasteners on ebay.

I've had that happen to hex head screws from name vendors who sell grips. Poorly fitting allen wrenches (or just the wrong size, perhaps metric by mistake), and/or trying to tighten them too tight to prevent their loosening. The torque for screws that small is in the 15-25 inch-pound range.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
any name vendor that ships junk screws should be publicly shamed. But someone using the wrong tool should simply own up to their own stupidity. Torque numbers are probably in the 8-10 range for the quality/size of these.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the hex slipped, it wasn't the poor quality of the fastener (though it may be poor quality); it was the wrong size tool, or wrong tool.

An extraction bit may help, but the screw may be too small. Be careful you don't drill into the frame if you have to deepen the hole. A small cold chisel can be used to rotate the screw; be careful you don't slip, use a small, light hammer, and make single taps, and secure the pistol before you begin, so it doesn't move.

If you use anything in that hole to rotate the fastener, also use valve grinding compound; it provides additional grip of the tool (extractor, hex, etc) and increases the chance of success. It doesn't take much. Just a dab'l'do'ya.

If the fastener isn't too deep in the grip, it can be notched with a cutoff wheel, but be careful about the wheel jumping or touching the edges of the hole in the grip, and ruining the trip. Notching is for a straight blade.

Grip screws require fingertip pressure, max. A low quality fastener won't manifest itself as a stripped hole, but as a screw that shears off and compounds your problems. These are small screws. It doesn't take much to twist them off.

Whatever you do when you're trying to get that fastener out, don't damage the frame.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have not seen this issue previously discussed in a long time, but I recall numerous complaints/reports about Hogue hex drive grip plate screws failing. Back then it was the general consensus that they were made of soft steel, evidently to help avoid stripping out the frame threads if they were tightened too much. It would not surprise me in the slightest if the hex hole rounded out if too much torque was used, and especially if the drive tool wasn’t a close fit.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmer:

Great idea! I'll have to remember this one.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post