SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    1986 P220 Firing Pin removal

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1986 P220 Firing Pin removal Login/Join 
Picture of Chopjaw
posted
Ok, I'm pretty handy and could prolly figure it out but instead of doing something stupid I'm here asking you. How do you get the firing pin out of an P220? I searched for a video and found something that almost works but his 220 slide is different of mine.

Posts: 16 | Registered: February 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The short answer is that it’s necessary to drive out the roll pins in the slide. They hold the breechblock in the slide and the firing pin is in the breechblock.

Removing everything is easy, but reassembly can be a little tricky if one doesn’t know all the things to consider. If the roll pins are removed, they should be replaced with new and not reused.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36005 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
There is a set of punches made with a specific tip for roll pins that can be had for about ten bucks. These will meet the tip centered within the roll pin while driving them in and out.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 1929 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^. What is the purpose of not reusing the roll pins? Is it that they may become too loose and work themselves out over time or some other reason?

I recently punched one out of a P230 and put it back and it seemed fine with plenty of tension.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Posts: 4269 | Location: N-E Ohio | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Is it that they may become too loose ...?

Although it’s never been specifically explained in SIG’s guidance to my knowledge, that is probably the reason. When they were still producing guns with separate breechblocks secured by the roll pins SIG recommended changing the pins every 5000 rounds regardless of whether they were removed sooner. I believe it was former SIG-insider Todd Green who said that was because it was essential that the pins hold the block firmly in the slide. If not, the slide would flex under recoil to the point that the frame rails could crack and break.

Is that likely to actually happen? No, because very few owners of older SIG pistols follow or are even aware of that maintenance protocol, and yet we seldom (but not never) hear of such problems occurring. But there is a difference between pins’ loosening in normal use and becoming loose as a result of removal and reuse. Are there guns with reused pins that are still going strong? No doubt, but it’s still the recommendation.

And note that all of that applies only to the roll pins used to retain the separate breechblocks in older SIG pistols with formed and welded carbon steel slides. That’s not an issue with pins in one-piece slides whose only purpose is to retain something like a firing pin and/or other parts.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36005 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I experienced light primer strikes at one point with a folded slide 226, and it turned out the roll pins had broken. The gun still functioned, but there was slight noticeable play of the block in the slide. So that could be another reason to replace the pins after they have been in there a while.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Overheard at an actual match:
"Tapers! Come on, guys, we need tapers!"
"No, my name's Gonzales."

Posts: 4743 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It's very helpful.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Posts: 4269 | Location: N-E Ohio | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post