SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sticky decocker on W. German P226...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sticky decocker on W. German P226... Login/Join 
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted
My brother's P226 has a sticky decocker. You press it down and it will stick and not release the hammer. If you thumb the hammer slightly, it will release. Everything is clean and well lubricated. The pistol is old (purchased new in 1990) and has somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k rounds through it. It did have the springs replaced in 2012 (Sig Service Package).

So, it is a worn lever (where it interfaces with the sear? Is it the sear it self?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I'd start by looking at the tab on the decocking lever. It is easy to remove for a look-see and only costs $20 to replace.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I know this might be obvious, but has it been cleaned recently? You would be surprised how much gunk accumulates.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The gun is not equipped with Hogue grips, is it?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The gun is not equipped with Hogue grips, is it?

My first thought as well.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Thanks for the comments.

To answer your questions:

1) The gun is clean, very clean, and well lubricated.

2) Factory Sig grips are installed. Additionally, the lever sticks even when the grip panels have been removed. The lever is binding within the internals of the pistol (where it interacts with the sear/hammer).

I will replace the decocking lever today (I have a spare P226 that I can cannibalize for parts) and go from there. If you have any other insight (besides a dirty gun or Hogue grips) it would be appreciated.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Problem solved....

It appears that the decocking lever and/or the decocking lever bearing were the culprit. I replaced both and the pistol functions flawlessly. It looks as if they were so worn that the lever was able to move around enough to bind on the magazine release button.

posted Hide Post
Thx for the update!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post