SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 Extractor Design Change
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Extractor Design Change Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted

A few weeks ago, my P320Compact (serial number 58B00xxxx) failed to extract a shell. Upon examination, the shell had a scratch on the rim. This pistol had about 700 rounds through it at the time of the FTE, all factory Speer Lawman 147g TMJ and Federal HST 147g JHP

This past weekend, my P320C had another failure to extract after approximately 200 rounds fired that day. Again, a scratch was found on the rim of the shell cartridge.

When I called Sig to purchase a replacement Extractor Spring, I was informed it was no longer available for my pistol due to a redesign.

Sig Customer Service is sending replacement Extractor, Extractor Pin, Extractor Spring, and Extractor Spring Pin at no charge for my P320C and my P320SubCompact (serial number 58A01xxxx) as it was also unable to use the new spring with the original parts.

From what I remember being told, the redesign lengthened the Extractor and because of that the components behind it in the slide were also changed.

There is a November 2014 date on the Compact’s box and a December 2014 date on the SubSompact’s box.

I have no information when the Extractor redesign occurred. I will post pics of anything that is visually different between the original and replacement parts.

** Update ** I just discovered my shooting buddy who was with me during both failure to extract events was loading Winchester White Box 115g FMJ Ball into my P320 mags. This falls inline with other reports that WWB is implicated in these failure to extract reports.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sleepla8er,

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I received via email Sig's Sales Order Acknowledgement that has the Part Name and Number:

EXTRACTOR 1301042-R
PIN, EXTRACTOR 1300324-R
SPRING, EXTRACTOR 1300521-R

In my original post, I was under the impression that the Extractor Spring Pin was also being replaced. As it is not listed, it appears that is not the case. I will confirm with Sig at my first opportunity.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
I have no information when the Extractor redesign occurred. I will post pics of anything that is visually different between the original and replacement parts.

It would be great to see the differences if you post the pics.

Thank you for all of this information.

Pozidriv

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! The updated part numbers represent an evutionary change to increase extractor tension and improve extractor hook bite. The three parts you recieved all are intended to work together, though each is nominally reverse-compatible with the earlier parts versions. These parts will help correct your occasional FTE issue. Ammo selection also matters; certain iffy lots of cheap 115 gr. training ball, reman stuff and handloads all have been implicated in such reports.

Thank you for sharing your info, and good luck.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As usual, Bruce, your input is much appreciated.

It’s evidently the 9mm extractor that’s being discussed here. Can anyone tell us if the extractor in the 357/40 versions has been changed?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Bruce, it's Greg down in San Diego ~ a new Mexican seafood place opened up here. They offer several different ceviche plates, all of which are Heavenly! Hopefully you'll be here looking at more CNC machines or with Jerry doing a training class.

The redesigned extractor parts arrived and installed without any issues. Pics are being posted as promised but...

These pics are deceiving as the most prominent change appears to be the length of the Extractor Spring. However, it is not possible for me to tell if the spring is actually longer or if the size difference is due to the original spring being under pressure or if it just appears shorter because it was seated further into the Extractor Pin than I can hand fit the new parts.

What is obviously different is the lack of play between the Extractor and the Extractor Pin. In photo 1 where the original components are on the right, you can see the white background in the space where the Extractor sits on the Extractor Pin. The new components have a closer fit.

To may click on the photo to open Flicker then click again to enlarge the photo.

Left are the Redesigned Extractor components
Right are the original Extractor components

I have six photos that you may view in the following link:
www.Flickr.com/photos/SleepLa8er

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I may have to look into getting this upgrade. I had 3 or 4 FTE with Blazer Brass 124 gr 9mm in my Full size.
I had no issues with that ammo in my G19 at MOAC.

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Ordered. Let's see if the problem goes away.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I received the new parts today.
The pin and spring are in packages that say "Made in USA". The extractor says "Made in India".
Is this the dreaded "Indo-MIM" that I have been hearing about???

Nothing to worry about, I'm sure, or GGI would be making tool steel replacements. Smile

I'll hold off on swapping​ them in if I don't have any more problems and just keep them as spares for MOAC.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
...The pin and spring are in packages that say "Made in USA". The extractor says "Made in India"...Bruce

Hi Bruce,
My parts match the countries of manufacture as you stated them.

When you have a moment, please compare the fit of the Extractor to the Extractor Pin of the new vs. the original parts.

For me, the fit of the redesigned Extractor where it sits on the Extractor Pin was the most obvious difference in the parts.

Please keep in mind, I am not able to measure any difference in the springs.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As usual, Bruce, your input is much appreciated.

It’s evidently the 9mm extractor that’s being discussed here. Can anyone tell us if the extractor in the 357/40 versions has been changed?

You're welcome!

These extractors are all interchangeable between calibres.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
...The pin and spring are in packages that say "Made in USA". The extractor says "Made in India"...Bruce

Hi Bruce,
My parts match the countries of manufacture as you stated them.

When you have a moment, please compare the fit of the Extractor to the Extractor Pin of the new vs. the original parts.

For me, the fit of the redesigned Extractor where it sits on the Extractor Pin was the most obvious difference in the parts.

Please keep in mind, I am not able to measure any difference in the springs.

Hi Greg! I need to come down there and hit the Mexican joints with you.

Did you also get the new extractor pin? It too is longer, and pretensions the spring quite a bit more.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:

Hi Greg! I need to come down there and hit the Mexican joints with you.

Did you also get the new extractor pin? It too is longer, and pretensions the spring quite a bit more.

-Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Yes, the Extractor Pin was replaced along with the Extractor and the Extractor Spring.

The Extractor Spring Pin (protrudes out the rear of the Slide & locks the Cap in place) was not replaced. Sig stated the Extractor Spring Pin was not redesigned and the part currently in my pistol is the part currently in production.

By the way, last night I met up with my shooting buddy who was with me both times my P320 failed to extract. While I haven't purchased Winchester White Box since attending your 2010 Fundamentals class in San Diego, my buddy does use their 115g ball ammo. He said that when we shot, he loaded WWB into my P320 mags. My initial report that I was firing Speer Lawman 147g TMJ which has the same ballistics as Speer LE GoldDot Duty Ammo is not accurate. This falls inline with your findings about which ammo is implicated in these extractor failure reports.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no information when the Extractor redesign occurred

I was told about it around Nov. or Dec. from what I remember.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TGS does not list a parts number for the 320 extractor spring that they offer for sale, but describe the name as "spring-45." Is that the new spring, or the old one?

The other components of the extractor assembly that they offer on their site have parts numbers listed and they appear to be the new versions.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBS:
TGS does not list a parts number for the 320 extractor spring that they offer for sale, but describe the name as "spring-45." Is that the new spring, or the old one...

I received a P320 Parts List in May 2015 from Sig's Store. On that list, "Spring-45" was listed as the part number for the P320 in all calibers (9/357/40/45). That part sold for $6 retail or $4.80 to P320 Armorers.

I received the redesigned parts in March 2017 and the bag that the new Extractor Spring arrived in has 1300521-R as the part number but the bag does not state caliber.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Can anyone point me to a good video for replacement of the extractor and spring?
I had a couple of FTE with each magazine, today.
It looks like I need to swap these parts out before MOAC.

Edit: I figured it out. Just as easy as a Glock!

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

-Niccolo Machiavelli