SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Covering Ported Shotgun Barrel Holes

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Covering Ported Shotgun Barrel Holes Login/Join 
posted
I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with 28" ported barrel. I would like to cover the ported holes and make them non-functional. Once I stick a broom handle or similar dowel into the bore to prevent material from entering, what can I use to cover the holes permanently ? I am visualizing when I utilize a putty knife and compound to cover nails/nail holes in drywall and then sand and paint. Does solder work ? Obviously I am ignorant of what might/might not work. Thanks for non-condescending responses.

Posts: 651 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Is buying another barrel an option? High temp solder or brazing may work, but refinishing could be a problem. How many holes are you talking about and how are they arranged?

Posts: 10537 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, purchasing another barrel is an option. They are reasonably priced. I was just curious what was involved in covering the ports. I like to learn new activities and handle challenges. I am not looking at them at the moment, but I recall there are two rows of 5 holes each on each side of the vent rib toward the muzzle. So a total of 20 holes. Thanks.

Posts: 651 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it isn't a vent rib barrel you may be able to fit a sleeve over the ports.

It may be possible even if it is.

Posts: 1129 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
If it isn't a vent rib barrel you may be able to fit a sleeve over the ports.

It may be possible even if it is.

It is a vent rib, but that is an idea I had never considered. I like that outside-the-box thinking. I have neighbors who are very good at fabricating. Thanks.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although shotshells are relatively low pressure cartridges and the ports are near the end of a long barrel, I would be surprised if anything other than a metal-based plug or cover would survive the first shot. If you decide to try something like that, please let us know the outcome. I’m definitely curious.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36355 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If you decide to try something like that, please let us know the outcome. I’m definitely curious.

I will start making inquiries on a metal plug/cover tomorrow and will be happy to advise if and when I actually activate. Thanks.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Help me understand why you want to close the ports? I am presuming noise but you didn't say

I would just replace the barrel as I think your costs for plugging the holes will exceed the cost of a replacement barrel.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
Florida Class K Licensed Instructor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor/RSO
NRA Certified LE Handgun/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
SIG and Glock Armorer

Posts: 1494 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Help me understand why you want to close the ports? I am presuming noise but you didn't say

I would just replace the barrel as I think your costs for plugging the holes will exceed the cost of a replacement barrel.

Yes, I prefer the gases to vent in a more normal manner. I purchased the firearm because of the price. Barrels are relatively reasonably priced, but I was also curious what could be done to cover the ports. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Me I'd buy a barrel and sell mine before I ruin it learning. That said silver solder normally survives at the end of the shotgun barrels for attaching things so I would just fill them with that and see how it goes. (ream the inside when you are done).
No chance that makes economic sense.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 6003 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, guys. All is well.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I have neighbors good at fabricating items, so I started a casual conversation with one of them. It so happens he was looking for a nice, used shotgun for bird and squirrel hunting and has no problem with ports. Guess what ? He now owns the Mossberg 500. We are both happy campers. Communication is wonderful. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I would change the barrel out. If you hint over dogs, your dogs will appreciated not having a ported barrel. Hard in their ears.

Posts: 282 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gundog55:
I would change the barrel out. If you hunt over dogs, your dogs will appreciated not having a ported barrel. Hard on their ears.

Posts: 282 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post