SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Firing pin length question for 9mm P229 vs. German P228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firing pin length question for 9mm P229 vs. German P228 Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Would a firing pin's length impact force on a primer? IOW, would a longer or shorter pin potentially lead to light primer strikes? In this case, I have a P228 where the firing pin SIG's Custom Shop put in my P228 was longer than the one in my SIG P228 rebuild kit. This also leads to the question as to wheher a 9mm P229's pin is longer than a German P228 with the folded slide.

Thanks!

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The length of the firing pin will not affect the force of the impact, but it certainly can have an effect on the detonation. A longer firing pin may allow greater impact on the anvil which then sets off the primer mix. A firing pin that is too long, however, could be bad because it may pierce the primer cup.

What are you actually experiencing?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
The length of the firing pin will not affect the force of the impact, but it certainly can have an effect on the detonation. A longer firing pin may allow greater impact on the anvil which then sets off the primer mix. A firing pin that is too long, however, could be bad because it may pierce the primer cup.

What are you actually experiencing?

Light primer strikes with Blazer aluminum ammo. Federal, Winchester white box, Blazer Brass work fine. However, since SIG worked on it again, it has light primer strikes on almost every Blazer aluminium round I try to fire.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If Blazer aluminum is your ammunition of choice, you could try installing a heavier mainspring to get a stronger hammer strike.

I would just choose a different ammunition to shoot.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
If Blazer aluminum is your ammunition of choice, you could try installing a heavier mainspring to get a stronger hammer strike.

I would just choose a different ammunition to shoot.

Thx.