SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    How to move a pistol sight mounted w/ loctite?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to move a pistol sight mounted w/ loctite? Login/Join 
Picture of BDA220
posted
I have a pistol with a tritium rear sight that was secured in the dovetail from the factory with loctite, or perhaps something else. Looking at the sight under a microscope, I can see a fillet of something cured.
I understand that heat will soften loctite, but I am concerned that may damage the tritium inserts.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I would think they would use blue loctite and you should be able to move it with with a pusher.
You usually have to apply heat for the red loctite.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
You don't mention a specific firearm. Perhaps you can move the front sight instead-either one works.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

GaryBF made a great point ~ if moving the rear sight is to correct POA/POI, can you adjust the front site?

If you really need to remove the rear sight, this information was posted on Loctite's website:

HOW TO REMOVE ADHESIVE FROM METAL
To remove adhesive residue from metal, you should try using rubbing alcohol, or isopropyl, first. Apply with a cotton ball and let it soak in. Most adhesives will break down on contact, and rubbing alcohol won’t damage metal surfaces. If that doesn’t work, baby oil is another useful alternative:
www.LoctiteProducts.com/en/know-how/fix-stuff/remove-adhesives.html#C

This is copied from Technical Data Sheet for Loctite's Threadlocker Blue 242:
Cured: Remove with a combination of soaking in methylene chloride and mechanical abrasion such as a wire brush.

For disassembly: Shear with hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 250°C and dissemble while hot:
https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/c...-fl-oz-2018-04-09pdf

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the suggestions.I am aware of these methods.
The front sight is similarly mounted, but much smaller and even more fragile, with less bearing surface to engage some tool to move it.
The gun is a Springfield 911-9mm, no, not a 1911..
Yes, I could have bought a P938, but the 911 has very easy to see Ameriglo big dot sights. But, it seems to need to be zeroed a bit.

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

There is one other option, but it depends if the reason for removing the sights is to replace them.

"If" you are changing out the sights completely, and "if" the new sights are Trijicon ~ send your slide to Trijicon.

When I called them a few years ago about my night sights fading out, I sent them the slide and they used an Arbor Press to remove and replace my front & rear sights.

I don't remember the price, and because I only sent them the slide I didn't have to mess with special shipping but I think it was under $100 all in.

Finding a gunsmith or machinist with an Arbor Press in their shop would also work.

Good Luck!!!

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My Wheeler sight tool has removed several sights that have had been glued in without any undue drama.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!