SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    MPX Bolt Carrier loose "gas key"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX Bolt Carrier loose "gas key" Login/Join 
Picture of shikemd
posted
I recently inherited a 9mm MPX. While cleaning I found that the piece that attaches the operating rod to the bolt carrier is loose (it's analogous to an AR gas key, not sure what the proper name is). Should this piece be loose?

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine will "wiggle" a bit. But does not slide out from either side. No issues with function.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would be curious to know whether it’s something to be concerned about because I’m not familiar with the MPX. It appears to me, though, that the part (that SIG evidently calls the operating “rod”) is held in place with just the roll pin, and is therefore probably not intended to be fixed rigidly in position. Perhaps it is designed to shift slightly to allow it to self-center in operation. The similar part in the MCX is not fixed and has a relatively large range of motion.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
To clarify the movement is a bit of play and the piece does not come out on either side. I don't expect that it will affect function as the carrier's motion within the receiver is limited.

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post