SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 Extreme, installed upgrades, now hammer won't release.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Extreme, installed upgrades, now hammer won't release. Login/Join 
posted
I got a new pistol, my first in fact, and wanted to do some ostensibly minor changes to make it my perfect gun. I put in a fat strut, flat trigger and new grips. Nothing that seemed like a deal breaker. I watched a million videos and thought I was ready.

But now, while reassembling, I find that, before I seat the locking block, pulling the trigger releases the hammer just fine, but after the locking block is seated, a trigger pull no longer releases the hammer. It pulls the hammer back but not enough to release.

This after I had a hell of a time getting the trigger bar seated, and learning that I had to slide the SRT safety tab out of the way.

So, is it the locking block, the tigger pivot pin orientation, or is the safety tab not sitting correctly?

Any advice is highly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Posts: 6 | Registered: July 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
fat strut

I'm not sure what that is, but if it's the hammer strut, my guess is that you have it installed too far forward. Try removing it, and reinstalling it as far back into the hammer, with the hammer forward, as it will seat.

ETA:

If that is the hammer strut, are you sure you have the correct one?
I looked it up, and that is the Grayguns strut...

Start at about 9 minutes into this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HfQZkKyXyM

Welcome to the forum.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

First off, welcome to SigForum!!!

Who made the Flat Trigger you installed and is it adjustable?

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's GrayGuns flat trigger and I adjusted the screws to be flat.
There is a new wrinkle. Both DA and SA work when a magazine is inserted. But SA does not work when there is no magazine. So weird.

avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
California Compliant sounds like a Magazine Safety on the extreme. Won't fire without magazine. Remove the Slide and look at the back of the locking insert. Without the safety there is no little spring there.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ca compliant won't fire without magazine? Well then. LOL. Then its working exactly as it is intended to. Thanks yall.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

That was a really good pickup Fjgiie!

King~ The plastic Sig case has a sticker with the model number. I believe the Extreme P226 CA model number is: 226R-9-XTM-BLKGRY-CA

The "CA" pistols have a magazine safety located in the Locking Insert. The pistol will not fire without a magazine inserted.

If you are in the SoCal area, click on my username and get my email off my member profile. I will be happy to let you try out a few other P226 upgrades available from GrayGuns.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. It is CA compliant. As soon as (im sorry I don't remember your name, you know who you are, I can't see it on this screen) mentioned this. I removed the slide and the magazine and tried it, no hammer strike, I held that little spring up and click. Perfect.

I will hit you up.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kingnostromo:
It's GrayGuns flat trigger and I adjusted the screws to be flat.
There is a new wrinkle. Both DA and SA work when a magazine is inserted. But SA does not work when there is no magazine. So weird.

When I first read the OP a few days ago my first thought was that there was a mag disconnect installed, until you mentioned that it only affected the Single Action. I've never owned a SIG with a mag disconnect but my understanding was that both DA and SA modes of fire would be prohibited when the magazine was removed.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of. DA doesn't fire if you pull slowly, but it does if you pull it fast. Momentum? I don't know. I'm just glad that I didn't break it. I might have to throw up a video just pointing out the quirks of a CaC 226. Because of all the videos I watched, and there were a lot, none of them prepared me for this weirdness.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! When you call Grayguns CS, please give my Manager Chris all your info. These components are designed to be installed by qualified armourers and gunsmiths who are familiar with these pistols, and these things can be a bit confusing to new folks. But don't be dissuaded! Just let us help you directly, rather than fish around in the dark. Your safety is paramount. We guarantee our stuff.

Grayguns Inc: (888) 585-4729

Thank you!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
From Grayguns.com:

"This trigger may not be fully compatible with California compliant or similar P-series pistol models equipped with a magazine disconnector, and Grayguns urges caution. We do not recommend deactivating any mechanical safety device." Please contact us.

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa! Bruce! Thanks so much for responding.
All is well, the problem was that I was unaware of that particular CA safety measure. I did have to slide the SRT safety out of the way to seat the trigger bar, but I slid it right back into place. Tested it at the range. Your products made an already amazing pistol even better. I thank you. I am currently considering your DVD on this whole gunsmithing business.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kingnostromo:
Whoa! Bruce! Thanks so much for responding.
All is well, the problem was that I was unaware of that particular CA safety measure. I did have to slide the SRT safety out of the way to seat the trigger bar, but I slid it right back into place. Tested it at the range. Your products made an already amazing pistol even better. I thank you. I am currently considering your DVD on this whole gunsmithing business.

Definitely get the DVD, well produced and every step clear. GG knows sigs

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post