SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    239 slide problem-update!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

239 slide problem-update! Login/Join 
posted
Wondering if anyone has ever seen this? I have a 239 in 40 and a .357 conversion barrel. I’ve shot close to 1k if .357 through it without an issue. Last night while shooting, I finished a mag and went to reload. When I went to hit the slide release, nothing happened. Upon further inspection, there was no spring tension on the slide. I took the gun apart and the recoil spring was gone! I carry a spare in the case. When I went to put it in, the recess where the spring stops in the slide is gone! The spring just slides all the way through to the muzzle. There’s a sharp edge all around the circumference of where the guide rod hole is/was. The hole now is big enough for the spring to come all the way through. I bought it new in 2011 and the gun has close to 2k rounds on it. I’m pretty confused on what could have happened and am trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks
Larry https://www.flickr.com/photos/...95@N03/shares/172bg8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: koop6ppc,

Posts: 12 | Registered: February 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A photograph or two would be interesting.
(Assuming I understand what happened, I have never heard of such a failure.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added photos in original post

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are that the recoil spring was too weak and eventually went to full compression and punched through the slide nose. Or maybe a stress riser from milling. Either way, metal fatigue took its toll.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a new recoil spring with about 25 rnds.on it. Appreciate the reply

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos.
That is bizarre, and as I say, nothing I’ve ever even heard of before. I assume that the part that disappeared from the slide was welded in place, but not properly. Or perhaps not.

Hopefully SIG will take care of you, although as the P239 has been discontinued ….
Please keep us posted.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
I’m hoping they get that repaired for you.

Does Sig spec the same recoil spring for both calibers?

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are different recoil springs for the 9 and the .40/.357

posted Hide Post
The fix for that is probably going to be a reverse plug like many full length guide rods use on 1911's.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Well, that particular location of metal failure on a SIG P series is a first for me, as I've never seen it discussed on the forum before.

If you purchased the gun new in 2011 then it should be covered by SIG's lifetime warranty, so please follow-up and let us know what their response is.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an update to the problem I had. I contacted Sig’s customer service and dealt with a guy named Bo. I explained the problem and he issued me a RMA number and a shipping label.
Sig received my package on Monday the 21st. I was holding it in my hands this afternoon,the 24th!
The slide was replaced with my night sights transferred, both barrels(.40 and.357) I sent with the gun were test fired. Simply incredible! There was no indication on the worksheet as to why the problem occurred.
This was my first time ever having to send a gun back and was a little nervous since the 239 hasn’t been made for awhile.
Thanks to Bo at Sig customer service and the techs who fixed it up!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Very good!
Thanks for the update.

6.4/93.6

— Plato