SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Cleaning up NIB P220 and P229 from 2004?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning up NIB P220 and P229 from 2004? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I’m slowly working through cleaning up my SIGs that haven’t been touched since 2003. I am now at a P220RM AND a P229RM that were purchased new in 2004 and were never touched (they still have the blue grip labels on them). Do they need to be completely stripped and cleaned to get the old oil and grease off them? Specifically, I am wondering about the slides as I dislike messing with firing pin positioning pins and roll pins.

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I understand, if you're referring to unfired weapons, I would most certainly not mess with anything on the slides. Roll pins and FPPP's certainly don't need to be removed on unfired weapons.

If your intention is to fire them, by all means clean and lube away.

If they're going back in the safe, a quick function check, and verification there's no corrosion/rust seems appropriate.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I'm not sure I understand, if you're referring to unfired weapons, I would most certainly not mess with anything on the slides. Roll pins and FPPP's certainly don't need to be removed on unfired weapons.

If your intention is to fire them, by all means clean and lube away.

If they're going back in the safe, a quick function check, and verification there's no corrosion/rust seems appropriate.

Ahh, these are unfired pistols in their original packing grease from the factory.

I do intend to fire them!

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
There is no reason to disassemble the slides. I do suggest removing any old grease that you find and relubricating the frame/slide rails and barrel tube.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Do NOT do anything to the firing pin/firing pin channel. If you feel you MUST do something, you could clean the tip by defeating the safety, but it's probably not necessary. Wink

FYI - It's supposed to be dry!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

I ended up stripping the frame down, except for the magazine catch and hammer stop, but left the slide in one piece. I let all the loose parts, including barrel, recoil spring and recoil rod, soak in Hoppe's in preparation for a good cleaning. There was a reddish residue on all parts, and many were heavily lubed. All needed to be scrubbed with a nylon brush. After being cleaned with Hoppe's, I repeated the process with CLP. The slide and frame got a good CLP scrubbing too. I used compressed air to get all excess oil out of the assembled slide.

I added the SRT kit and a older ribbed trigger when reassembling. (I like this trigger on my P220s.) I can't say than I'm a fan of MIM parts as the mold seams were visible on the hammer and SRT sear. However, I really do love that short reset, so much so that I ordered six more of them for my other SIGs!

Now to break it in! This 2004 P220R is actually my first NIB SIG. The trigger is definitely a bit rougher than my others, but I'm sure it will be much better after a few hundred rounds.

Thank you for the feedback!

Best,
Ian

posted Hide Post
The SRT is the absolute best thing (other than the DAK) Sig has came out with. It is a must for DA/SA guns.

Posts: 96 | Location: VA | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post