SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Old School P228 Trigger Bar Spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old School P228 Trigger Bar Spring Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I recently acquired a beautiful KE coded P228. As is my practice, I detail stripped and cleaned the pistol while awaiting new springs from TGS. Since the old school trigger bar spring has been discontinued by SIG, I ordered the new style looped spring. During assembly however, I discovered the right grip panel would not fit properly. A quick SIGforum search confirmed my suspicions - the new looped spring will not work in older P229's and obviously the same holds true as well for older P228's. Does anyone know of a source for the old style springs? All of the usual sources show them discontinued. I'm not in dire need of a spring at this time, but looking down the road I could see this becoming problematic for me as well as other owners of these earlier pistols. Any thoughts? Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hjs157,

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I believe the looped spring will work with a little Dremel work on the inside of the grip panel.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Numrich has the old style TBS in stock at this time.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a newer grip panels, that have cut out for the newer style spring. The old style has a weak point, right at the middle of the curve and why they put a loop, in the newer style.

Posts: 635 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I believe the looped spring will work with a little Dremel work on the inside of the grip panel.

Yep. Did it on my 1995 P229 DA/SA .40 a number of years back. I eventually replaced the grips with G10's and changed to the New Style hammer strut assembly.

Just be sure you are VERY careful if you Dremel, The material is very thin in the area that has to be relieved.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
I recently acquired a beautiful KE coded P228. As is my practice, I detail stripped and cleaned the pistol while awaiting new springs from TGS. Since the old school trigger bar spring has been discontinued by SIG, I ordered the new style looped spring. During assembly however, I discovered the right grip panel would not fit properly. A quick SIGforum search confirmed my suspicions - the new looped spring will not work in older P229's and obviously the same holds true as well for older P228's. Does anyone know of a source for the old style springs? All of the usual sources show them discontinued. I'm not in dire need of a spring at this time, but looking down the road I could see this becoming problematic for me as well as other owners of these earlier pistols. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Just now came across this. Have you been able to procure the old style spring. I am pretty sure that I have several of these and can send them to you. Hopefully didn’t toss them in a reckless wave of consolidation

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
Just now came across this. Have you been able to procure the old style spring. I am pretty sure that I have several of these and can send them to you. Hopefully didn’t toss them in a reckless wave of consolidation

Thank you very much for your generous offer. I actually "bit the bullet" and purchased an NOS set of post-1999 OEM P228 grips which are compatible with the new looped trigger bar spring. In conjunction with the new grips, I also located an OEM New Style (not E2) short hammer strut to be used in conjunction with a long mainspring seat and Wolff 19# mainspring. I'll updated once the parts arrive. Thanks!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I made it to the range yesterday to test my P228 with the updated mainspring parts and a Wolff 19# mainspring. Ignition was 100% positive (as expected) with Federal HST 124's. The trigger pull was crisp, if not noticeably different from the OEM spring. The "white" OEM P229 9mm recoil spring however threw brass a considerable distance (some up to ~3 yards). I believe the "white" P229 spring is rated at 16# and is interchangeable with the 9mm P228. Am I correct? Thanks!

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made it to the range yesterday to test my P228 with the updated mainspring parts and a Wolff 19# mainspring. Ignition was 100% positive (as expected) with Federal HST 124's. The trigger pull was crisp, if not noticeably different from the OEM spring. The "white" OEM P229 9mm recoil spring however threw brass a considerable distance (some up to ~3 yards). I believe the "white" P229 spring is rated at 16# and is interchangeable with the 9mm P228. Am I correct? Thanks!

That is my understanding re the white spring. I use the blue 229 spring for 357 sig and 40 and also for 9mm Barsto barrel. I may get a white one for the barsto barrel. Glad all worked out 228s are nice.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sigman940
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, the white recoil spring is correct for P229 9mm or P228.

The original main spring would have been a 24# and to change over to a 19# there should have been a very noticeable difference in the DA pull, not so much in SA. Any significant improvements in accuracy using DA with the new setup?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigman940,

~ ante omnia armari

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post