SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    226 40 S&W conversion to 9mm ?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 40 S&W conversion to 9mm ? Login/Join 
posted
Is it possible to get a conversion barrel to convert a 226 40cal to 9mm ? Anyone ever done this ?

Posts: 171 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, it’s a very common conversion. The recommended method is to use a dedicated conversion barrel from a company like Bar-Sto, but although I wouldn’t do it, some people have just used factory 9mm barrels.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36359 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Yes, works great! Like Sigfreund said, Bar-Sto sold at TGS.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/ba...el-sig-p226-9mm.html

Posts: 605 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will he need a new extractor, ejector? Which mags can he use?

Posts: 4166 | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Will he need a new extractor, ejector?

Most people with the conversions don’t have any problem with not changing them.
Depending upon the power of the 9mm ammunition used, though, a 9mm recoil spring may be necessary to prevent slow slide speed malfunctions.

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Which mags can he use?

Some 357/40 P226 magazines work with 9mm ammunition, but some don’t.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36359 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After numerous threads in the past asking about stock 9mm barrels and conversion barrels in a P226-.40 slide, when I saw this thread, I got up and went back to the range with my 9mm and .40 P226's.

I dropped the 9mm barrel, guide rod, and recoil spring in the .40 slide and gave it a try.

I won't go into details, since this thread is about conversion barrels, but I will say that the pistol operated normally with no extraction or ejection issues, although I only shot ten rounds. Surprisingly, the sights were dead on. I was shooting 124gr hand loads around 1100fps and was using the 9mm magazine

I have used .40/357 magazines in my P229-.40 with a P228 slide assembly installed. The first magazine I tried in the p229 would lock the slide open with one round remaining in the magazine. I tried a different magazine and it ran all of the rounds out before locking the slide open.

Posts: 1129 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won't go into details, since this thread is about conversion barrels, but I will say that the pistol operated normally with no extraction or ejection issues, although I only shot ten rounds. Surprisingly, the sights were dead on.

Thanks for providing some confirmation. The thread is only about conversion barrels because most people assume that one is needed. As with the P239, that is not always the case. No one is suggesting going into harm's way with a conversion like yours, but it 's good enough for range work. If you get the time, perhaps you could compare barrel dimensions for further confirmation.

Posts: 10538 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary, I'll start a new thread about this, as I am going to be doing some more "testing" this week.

It all started while trying to figure out why my 9mm German P226 sucks...

Posts: 1129 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post