SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Where to find parts to rebuild a 228 slide?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to find parts to rebuild a 228 slide? Login/Join 
Picture of Ghost-1
posted
I am rebuilding a 228 slide and I am looking for a parts kit to do so with. I have looked on TGS website and saw that one of the roll pins, firing pins and extractor are not made by SIG anymore.

Where can I find a kit to do this with as I know I need both the outer and inner roll pins, new firing pin spring and firing pin along with a new extractor. I am pretty sure that is all I need unless I am missing something in the list of parts.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see both roll pins on Brownells website, but no fp or extractor. You have the fp block/spring and breechblock I take it?

Also, Gerry at Total Automation was making extractors at one point.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
I have a completely assembled slide. I am going to have it refinished and wanted to replace everything with new parts before it gets put back together. I guess I need to find the list of parts I need so I can look for them and check them off as I get them.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Gerry at Total Automation was making extractors at one point.

He still is, but will now only sell you one if you send him a broken one.

Panic-buying driven by fears over an impending shortage overwhelmed him with orders for internal etractors. He wants to spend most of his time doing high-end smithing, not manufacturing parts.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBS:
Panic-buying driven by fears over an impending shortage ....

I’m confused by such statements that ridicule people who decide to stock up on something because they’re concerned that it may no longer be available in the future. If it was only irrational “panic buying” does that mean that they were wrong and I can pop in at my local gun shop and pick up two/three factory P228 extractors now? It seems to me that fears of an impending shortage were pretty well validated if someone has to come to an Internet forum in an attempt to locate something that’s not available elsewhere.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Panic-buying driven by fears over an impending shortage ....

I’m confused by such statements that ridicule people who decide to stock up on something because they’re concerned that it may no longer be available in the future. If it was only irrational “panic buying” does that mean that they were wrong and I can pop in at my local gun shop and pick up two/three factory P228 extractors now? It seems to me that fears of an impending shortage were pretty well validated if someone has to come to an Internet forum in an attempt to locate something that’s not available elsewhere.

My apologies if my language implied judgment. I meant it solely to describe the motivation behind the pressure on Gerry, not to characterize the appropriateness of it.

Indeed, I myself stocked up with multiple extractors from him before he adopted his more restrictive sales policy.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
Yeah no problem I am looking around and watching the classifieds on different forums.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost-1:
Yeah no problem I am looking around and watching the classifieds on different forums.

They show up on Ebay too, but are often very expensive there.

Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost-1:

They show up on Ebay too, but are often very expensive there.

I saw one 228 kit but it was beat to shit and had a lot of what looked like pitting and it was running about almost $400.00 I think.