SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Files for gun smithing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Files for gun smithing? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I need to get a couple files for some light gun smithing but I’m not sure what to get sizes and tpi.

I need a round one to relieve my G10 grips for ease of reaching the mag release on my CZ ams some various flat files to use to blend the mag well.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Brownells has a good selection of gunsmith specific files. As for G10, sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel works much better than a file for shaping. Fine files just clog on G10.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Be sure to use respiratory protection and good ventilation when filing/sanding G-10, since it's fiberglass. Also, Ken @ Hogue recommended rubbing sanded G-10 with a little oil to help treat it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to a nice half round file and bastard file, 2 of my favorite are a fine flat pillar file with safe edges....and a triangle file with 2 safe edges.

EZ-laps are great to have as well and some diamond files.

Don't cheap out too much on files, there really is a difference

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Chalking your files (especially flat edged files) keeps iron particles from embedding in the teeth, which will mar your work. Chalk them before and during use. Brownells sells "file chalk", which is nothing more than regular blackboard chalk in bigger sticks. It's cheap insurance.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post