SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 Slide Catch Lever Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Slide Catch Lever Question Login/Join 
Picture of hi-power man
posted
I picked up a P220 DAK a couple weeks ago. Now I finally got to the point of disassembly. By the way thanks for the field strip info earlier.

The previous owner had mounted a set of Hogue polymer wrap around grips. When he did this, he bent the end of the catch lever out from the frame to clear the grips and perhaps get a better contact with his finger.

I will be installing a set of factory original polymer panels so the lever must be reformed.

Is it a good or bad idea to try to remove the catch lever without removing the locking block by only partially drifting the retaining pin? Looking at a parts diagram, it appears the spring captures the lever.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The hammer pivot pin which is what holds the slide catch lever in place is captured by slots that the locking insert fits into. In other words, it’s not possible to move the pin to release the SCL without first removing the locking insert. Once the locking insert is removed, though, the hammer pivot pin can be moved only far enough to release the SCL and without freeing the trigger.

None of that is really very difficult if one learns how to do it via the various videos or CDs available.

Something else to be aware of is that the slide catch lever is very hard and attempting to “reform” it may result in the tab’s breaking off. I would suggest just getting a new replacement part:
https://www.midwestgunworks.co...e/mgwi/prod/LEVER-16

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Thank for the info. I have a short list of parts to order at MGW, including a new lever and spring. In a video I saw the indents in the pin but could not see where they registered.

I expected the part to break. It has plier marks on the tab and flat upper area. It looks like it was bent outward without removal from the unit.

Again, thanks for the info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hi-power man,

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The hammer pivot pin...

Trigger, actually Big Grin

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you buy a new lever, I'd be interested in purchasing the old one.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The hammer pivot pin...

Trigger, actually Big Grin

Actually. Big Grin
I often get the impression that the Armorer section could be eliminated from the forum entirely and 90% of the members would never even notice, so I say things like that on occasion to see if anyone is watching. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post