SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Squeezing Folded Slide?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Squeezing Folded Slide? Login/Join 
posted
I bought a folded carbon steel P220 slide that must have been involved in some kaboom, since the section near the breech block was so wide it was almost off the rails. I took out the breech block, and with a vise, squeezed the slide back to normal width.

The question is, since it would have been easy to continue, and make the slide a tight fit on the rails, has anyone done this before?

If so, did it improve accuracy?

Picture of Nipper
posted Hide Post
FWIW, if I had a gun that I suspected had been blown up by a prior owner, I'd have a competent gunsmith inspect it first.

Even though I do my own light gunsmithing.

Generally, slide tightening will only contribute about 5% to the accuracy of a pistol. This is in pistols that were in spec to begin with. In addition, too tight a fit will impact reliability.

Posts: 3889 | Location: Northeast | Registered: June 29, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, the more you move the metal, the more you weaken it.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 878 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I had an issue like that with one of my Wilson Combat 1911's. I call WC and they asked me to send it in. They looked things over with a high power magnifying glass looking for cracks in the slide and frame. You might want to call Sig CS and ask them if they would do the same for you. It is well worth the call.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.

Posts: 7913 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post