SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Trigger Disconnector Worn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger Disconnector Worn Login/Join 
posted
First post on the forum, and just starting to get into Sig's. I have a fair bit of experience with 1911, Glock, Tanfoglio and Beretta tinkering.

I have a P226 in 40 S&W that I picked up Friday from the FFL. It is a police trade in.

I immediately noted on detailed inspection that the hammer would follow if I cycled the slide "slingshot" with the trigger pulled. If I overhand it so there is downward pressure on the slide the hammer does lock back.

This caused my to do an "out of battery" test and sure nuff, hammer drops.

I have a new trigger bar inbound, along with an SRT kit, which should resolve this issue as well as giving me a trigger upgrade. I detail stripped the gun this morning and dunked it in the ultrasonic cleaner so I am confident in replacing the parts when they arrive.

Neither google nor forum searches here return lots of results related to wear on the disconnector tab on the trigger bar. This leads me to think the gun has lead a hard life.

Coming to my question....

Is this kind of wear normal? Additionally, the disconnector tab is worn to a sharp blade edge on the "inboard" side of the tab. And the slide rail is now rounded over on the inside edge where it wore against the disconnector. Should I be taking steps to address this wear?

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.
It would help if you can post good photos of the disconnector tab and slide.
I have not seen the degree of wear you seem to be describing, though, even with heavily used guns.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I have seen this where the owner polished surfaces on a DIY trigger job to smooth things out and went way too far changing the dimensions and contact angles.

Please examine the sear and hammer to ensure that is not also out of specs.

If this was a Sig Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) purchase, you might want to ask Sig to take a look at the entire pistol again. An out of spec disconnector should have been caught during their CPO function check. Makes me wonder what else might have been missed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sleepla8er,

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses!

Potato quality, but definitely captures the essence of the disconnector tab:

The photo of the slide rail is less useful. The lithium grease I applied today after the detail strip and sonic bath didn't help the photo. TBH this is more felt than seen, but the right side slide rail inside edge is more rounded the the left side.

It is not a CPO. I have carefully inspected the rest of the internals, especially the sear and hammer, without noting any other unusual wear or evidence of bubba work.

It appears to me the previous caretaker of this gun shot it a fair bit and was liberal with a CLP type spray, but never actually cleaned any crud out of the gun. I think I am just enjoying the result of carbon particle abrasion.

posted Hide Post
Also...

I bought this from Kings Firearms. I notified them of the issue and they both called to apologize that the gun left their facility with this defect, detailed the training they had given to the people doing inspections and have issued a credit for the cost of a new trigger bar (which was what I asked for).

First time I have dealt with them, and I feel they have done right by way of rectifying the issue.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have nearly 16K rounds through my most-used P226 and the wear on the trigger bar tab isn't nearly that extreme. I believe, though, that there may be something else going on to cause the sear to fail to keep the hammer cocked. I will be interested to learn what you find after replacing the trigger bar.

But I cannot really tell anything from the photo of the slide.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Trigger bar and SRT kit shipped today from MGW. I would guess I will get them by end of week.

I will replace the trigger bar first and test and report the results before I put in the SRT parts.

However, it seems pretty specific to me that the slide just doesn't quite always push the disconnector down far enough. If I cycle the action with the trigger pulled while pushing down on the slide, hammer stays back every time. If I pull up on the slide instead, hammer follows every time. If I try to be neutral it is hit or miss.

I will let you know, and thanks for your input.

posted Hide Post
SRT kit came on Saturday and dropped in with no fuss. Did not resolve the issue with hammer follow.

Trigger bar came yesterday. It required a good bit of fitting, far more than I was expecting. I had to file the pad on the back and the lower rear edge of the trigger bar spring notch to get the bar to re-engage the double action pawl. I also had to remove a bunch of material from the bottom of the bar to allow the slide to push it down. As it shipped, the bar would only drop about 0.010" where it needed more like 0.150" of drop.

I have fit most parts on a 1911 before and this was not nearly as much as many of those parts, but it was more than I was expecting.

The gun now passes all safety and function checks as expected. I was also able to measure how much wear the old disconnector tab had vs the new one. It was about 0.030" shorter. Not sure what caused the added wear, but I will keep an eye on the new one.

I also put an SRT kit in my 229 without issue, and picked up a 357 Sig barrel for the 226 which dropped right in.

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
The slide gets a dab of grease, where the disconnector tab rubs, after cleaning.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post