SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever*** Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
NOTE: I do not regularly monitor new posts in this thread, and I therefore recommend that questions pertaining to the subject be posted separately.

This information is specifically for SIG Classic Line pistols, to include the P220, P226, and P229. The original information in this post was from March 2008. I updated it with information from the factory armorer’s manual dated 1 November 2013.

The following is SIG SAUER’s current parts replacement schedule (numbers of rounds), with some comments of my own:

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy.
Decocking lever spring: 10,000
Extractor: 20,000
Extractor spring: 20,000
Firing pin: 20,000
Firing pin spring: 20,000
Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
Recoil spring: 5,000 †
Roll pins for breechblock retention (pins, HD): 5000 ‡
Safety lock spring: 20,000
Slide catch lever and spring: 10,000 §
Takedown lever: 20,000
Trigger bar spring: 10,000

Mainspring (hammer spring): SIG SAUER evidently makes no formal recommendation about the mainspring, but lbj was told by customer service that guns with 40,000 rounds are still igniting their ammunition with the original spring. If ignition problems do develop and cannot be determined to be due to other reasons, the obvious course would be to try a new mainspring.

* I also recommend replacing the magazine spring when ammunition is not held securely. This can occur before slide lock failures.

† I have seen earlier recommendations here that the recoil spring be replaced after 2500 or 3000 rounds. I replace my recoil springs after 2500 rounds.

‡ This information pertains to the roll pins used to retain the separate breechblocks used in older carbon steel slides. The most recent armorer’s manuals do not mention those older guns. The reason I’ve read for replacing the retaining pins every 5000 rounds is to ensure that the breechblock is secured tightly and firmly in the slide. If any looseness develops (and which may not be detectable by visual inspection), the slide can warp during firing and place additional stress on the frame rails, possibly leading to their early failure.

§ The original information mentioned only the slide catch lever spring. The 2013 manual shows the lever and the spring.

For the armorers: SIG considers the “internal” extractor used in P220 stainless steel slides to be a “sacrificial” part, and recommends that it be replaced after it’s removed from the slide.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The below information was sent to me on 11 July 2015 by forum member SleepLa8er who just completed the P320 armorer course. Thanks for the updated information.

Preventative Maintenance, Operator Performed:

Clean & Lubricate:
(a) After every firing or exposure to water, chemicals, dirt, or other contaminants.
(b) Monthly when carried as a duty weapon.
(c) Annually during storage.

Function Check: Whenever disassembled and reassembled.

Preventative Maintenance, Armorer Performed:

Field Strip & Inspection for proper Operator Maintenance: Annually
Detailed Disassembly & Inspection: Every 3 years or 5,000 rounds fired.

Parts Replacement Schedule, Operator Performed:

Recoil Spring:
Full Size: 10,000 rounds fired.
Compact: 5,000 rounds fired.
Sub-Compact: 5,000 rounds fired.

Magazine Spring: When the magazine fails to lock the slide open.

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits key-holing or unacceptable accuracy.

Parts Replacement Schedule, Armorer Performed:
Extractor Spring: 20,000 rounds fired.
Extractor: 20,000 rounds fired.
Striker Assembly: 20,000 rounds fired.
Takedown lever: 20,000 rounds fired.
Slide Catch Lever: 10,000 rounds fired.
Slide Catch Lever Spring: 10,000 rounds fired.
Slide Catch Lever Post: 10,000 rounds fired.
Trigger Bar Spring: 10,000 rounds fired.

Forum member SleepLa8er has posted a link to this video that demonstrates how to remove the P320 slide from the frame if we make the stupid mistake of taking the takedown lever out before removing the slide.

Don't do that, but if you do ...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncK4XYuSm0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aenimated1
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir.

--------------------------------------------
Won't you gentlemen have a Pepsi?

---------------------------------------------

Sig Certified Armorer
robert@thesigarmorer.com
TheSigArmorer.com

Posts: 965 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
I got the same info. I really do question the recommendation to swap P220 recoil springs every 5,000 rounds. For years, Sig has recommended 3,500 rounds if you talk to someone on the technical side.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again! This is good info. I looked through my notes and armorers manual from my class in Sept '06 and couldn't find this information.

Posts: 1558 | Registered: July 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Once more request this thread be stickied?

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thank You Again.
I truly respect your knowledge you share on this forum.
I received your guides last year in April via email from you.
I know you have been working on emergency cleaning guides.
If you have completed it could you please post it here or email it to me.
Any revisions since your last guide?
Email in profile.

Thank You
Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:

It's mostly completed, but it could use some final tweaking and review/editing.
Thanks for asking about it because that will motivate me to wrap it up. I will e-mail it to you when I do to get your comments. Smile

I've made a couple of very minor modifications to the basic cleaning and maintenance guide but primarily just to clarify a couple of points. If you'd like the most current one, however, I'd be happy to send it to you as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, Thanks for posting the recommended maintenance schedule. I have book marked this thread for future reference.

Thank you for kindly sharing your knowledge. Your input to this forum is priceless.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:

It's mostly completed, but it could use some final tweaking and review/editing.
Thanks for asking about it because that will motivate me to wrap it up. I will e-mail it to you when I do to get your comments. Smile

I've made a couple of very minor modifications to the basic cleaning and maintenance guide but primarily just to clarify a couple of points. If you'd like the most current one, however, I'd be happy to send it to you as well.

I would be honored to receive your guides.
I always appreciate your knowledge you compile and the willingness to share with us.

Thanks
Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I'll send you the most recent version of the maintenance guide now, Roy, but when I started working on the "field expedient" guide I realized it requires more work than I remembered. Or more to the point, I've thought of some additional issues to cover. I will send it to you, though, when I believe it's about finished to seek your comments.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
Up for better visibility -

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im kinda new to the forum and this is very valuable information.... i'm gonna book mark this page tooo... thanks

Sig Sauer P229r

Posts: 87 | Location: texas | Registered: February 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGPAL
posted Hide Post
Up..Up....For a great post!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Organization is for those who are too lazy to look for something..."

Posts: 246 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Back to page 1.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Again.

Picture of SIGPAL
posted Hide Post
Back to the top until this hopefully becomes a 'stickie'......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Organization is for those who are too lazy to look for something..."

Posts: 246 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
Great information, please sticky.

I see that it says replace the barrel if key-holing or unacceptable accuracy. Does anyone have any idea about how many rounds that would take shooting competitively in IDPA, for example?

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soncorn:
I see that it says replace the barrel if key-holing or unacceptable accuracy. Does anyone have any idea about how many rounds that would take shooting competitively in IDPA, for example?

I've never encountered a credible report of a SIG barrel's wearing out. I'm sure it can occur, but it must take a long time. Every now and then there's the recurring report of a 357 SIG P229 in Federal service that has over 100,000 rounds through it. Higher velocity cartridges like the 357 SIG tend to cause faster barrel wear.

My belief is that the bore is one of the last things we should worry about. It's important to remember, though, that the lack of proper cleaning degrades accuracy. If someone told me his barrel was worn out because it wasn't accurate, my first thought would be that the bore was badly fouled.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by soncorn:

I've never encountered a credible report of a SIG barrel's wearing out. I'm sure it can occur, but it must take a long time. Every now and then there's the recurring report of a 357 SIG P229 in Federal service that has over 100,000 rounds through it. Higher velocity cartridges like the 357 SIG tend to cause faster barrel wear.

My belief is that the bore is one of the last things we should worry about. It's important to remember, though, that the lack of proper cleaning degrades accuracy. If someone told me his barrel was worn out because it wasn't accurate, my first thought would be that the bore was badly fouled.

The reason I asked is because today I purchased a (very clearly) heavily used p228. I inspected for visible cracks in the frame and slide. The seller stated that the barrel needed to be replaced along with the recoil spring.

It was clear to me that the grooves in the barrel seem very shallow when I compare them to my other sigs.

I ordered a new barrel and a parts kit to give the gun a refresh and once over.

I was just trying to figure out about how many rounds the barrel has had through it. The barrel is not the original barrel (but the slide matches the frame so probably not a CPO) so who knows how much abuse the rest of the gun has seen.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see how the old and new barrels compare in accuracy.

6.4/93.6

— Plato