SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Factory Spring and Parts Replacement Schedule ***Now with P320 information including how to the remove slide w/o takedown lever*** Login/Join 
What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It would be interesting to see how the old and new barrels compare in accuracy.

Yeah, I will bring both to the range to compare.

I just found out that the gun is a former Israeli Defense Force 228 imported by the Old Sacramento Armory. The only website I can find with info says only about 300 were imported, but I have nothing to verify that.

Edited to add: I am an amateur radio operator too. I normally go to Estes Park area a couple times a year if that is anywhere near you in CO.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I'm in Leadville in the center of the state, so although it could be farther, it's not around the corner from Estes Park. What takes you there; anything in particular?

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
My mother has her retirement home there. It is nice to get out there and just relax. I love the mountains all across CO, but I can't beat free lodging. :-)

If I am going to be down Leadville way I will send an email. If you are ever down near Dallas/Fort Worth feel free to drop me a line if you need anything or if you are just interested in a home cooked meal.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Noob question here, but having just purchased a CPO 226, can I start counting at zero with just the rounds I've put through it? The springs all look pretty new, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sig replaced them all during the CPO review. Anybody know the SOP for replacing parts during the factory CPO review?

Great info BTW. Joining this forum and learning from guys like sigfreund is the best thing I've ever done to increase my gun knowledge.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I've always assumed that SIG replaces all the springs during the CPO process, but I must admit I've never seen/heard any official statement by SIG. Perhaps a call to customer service would get you an answer.

If you find out, be sure to let us know. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I'm a noob, just got a 229 ,40. I was surprised that the breach block pin needs to be swapped out at 5000 rounds. I wonder how many people really do it.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tomhighway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I've always assumed that SIG replaces all the springs during the CPO process, but I must admit I've never seen/heard any official statement by SIG. Perhaps a call to customer service would get you an answer.

If you find out, be sure to let us know. Smile

I like to think that SIG replaces the springs as well. However, on the two CPOs I have purchased, neither recoil spring had new paint on it like the replacements do. Still, if it shoots fine, replacing all the springs does seem a bit of a waste. So, I usually just drop in a new recoil spring and a mainspring with a weight to my liking and I'm good to go.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who didn't.

Posts: 952 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
I'm a noob, just got a 229 ,40. I was surprised that the breach block pin needs to be swapped out at 5000 rounds. I wonder how many people really do it.

The schedule doesn’t mention the solid firing pin positioning pin (FPPP) used in SIGs with one-piece stainless steel slides like the P229. The retention pins mentioned above are the hollow roll pins use in two-piece carbon steel slides with separate breechblocks (e.g., the P225, P228, P245, and older P220 and P226). The reason for replacing them so frequently is reportedly that they loosen and that reduces the rigidity of the slide assembly. That in turn results in the slide’s flexing when fired and increases stress on the frame rails. One-piece slides are not subject to that problem.

Although the solid FPPP isn’t mentioned in the schedule, it must be preplaced by default every 20,000 rounds because that’s when the other parts of the slide assembly are replaced: the firing pin and its spring and the safety lock spring. The FPPP is not reused.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that info on the newer 229s. I was looking at the blow-up diagram of the gun and noticed that it was different. That makes the new model much easier to maintain.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGPAL
posted Hide Post
Time to move this most valuable thread back up to the top!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Organization is for those who are too lazy to look for something..."

Posts: 246 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
Up in preparation for August visibility Big Grin

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
For your October viewing pleasure Cool

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And November.

Picture of Hero
posted Hide Post
Bump for December. Great thread.

Posts: 107 | Location: Northern Kentucky | Registered: December 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Bump for the New Year.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing about frequency of replacing hammer pin, hammer reset spring, sear pin or sear spring.

Those are all pretty small parts.

davemercer

Posts: 936 | Location: NE USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump because I was searching for this.
stick it

Posts: 19 | Registered: August 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does that mean replace the new external extractor at 20,000 rounds, or replace both styles of extractor at 20,000 rounds?
(internal fixed and external with spring?)

Posts: 19 | Registered: August 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnp229:
Does that mean replace the new external extractor at 20,000 rounds, or replace both styles of extractor at 20,000 rounds?
(internal fixed and external with spring?)

The above guide first appeared in the factory armorer certification manual after internal-extractor models had been discontinued as regular production items. My assumption is, therefore, that it specifically refers to external extractors.

As for the parts that aren't mentioned at all, all I can say is that the factory guide doesn't list them. I've wondered about the sear spring because it does have an effect on trigger pull weight and the DAK system's sear spring is not the same as the one used in DA/SA models. Presumably, though, it can be quite weak and still work.

Regarding the other small parts, I'd replace them if they showed any wear to the base metal.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
FeBruary Bump.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post