SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Correct Hammer Strut for P226 (1995 Date Code)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct Hammer Strut for P226 (1995 Date Code) Login/Join 
posted
What would be the correct hammer strut for the LONG PLASTIC BASE and short coil spring in a 1995 German frame P226. Would it be Hammer strut #6 or hammer strut #4.

Posts: 13 | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
The top one here

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...26/hammer-strut.html
Midwest calls it #6

I could not find a #4
If you cannot find strut 6 contact me - I have one

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

It looks like I will need one for a German frame P220 also. Which strut does it call for?I already have the spring and a long plastic base like the one in the photo

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you have the long base, then you would need the short strut.

I believe the long strut and short base were introduced along with the E2 grip because it protrudes farther in toward the base and strut. The short base and long strut can, however, be used with older grip plates.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Eyed Southern Boy:
Thanks.

It looks like I will need one for a German frame P220 also. Which strut does it call for?I already have the spring and a long plastic base like the one in the photo

The 220 has its own strut. The difference between the 220 & the 226/8/9 are slight and you have to have lay them on top of each other to see the difference.

Think its mostly clearance differences. The angle, spring top shoulder and hammer contact area are the same or close with the top contact being a little taller on the 220 but the top area is slimmer on the 220.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwestgunworks.co...20/hammer-strut.html
It appears that Midwest Gun Works has both the Strut 4 and the Strut 6 for sale.
Just order one or two of each for 220 and 226.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great comparison pic! I have a mix of P220/6/8/9 struts to sort through. Quite timely!

Thank you,
Ian

quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

The 220 has its own strut. The difference between the 220 & the 226/8/9 are slight and you have to have lay them on top of each other to see the difference.

Think its mostly clearance differences. The angle, spring top shoulder and hammer contact area are the same or close with the top contact being a little taller on the 220 but the top area is slimmer on the 220.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Douglas:
Great comparison pic! I have a mix of P220/6/8/9 struts to sort through. Quite timely!

Thank you,
Ian

Glad it helped! While not listed or ever factory The P226 strut is also acceptable for use in the P6/225. Several of us worked sought confirmation from the forums finest recognized gunsmiths that it was an acceptable use for the P6/225 and then were able to present the info to Ken@Hogue who went to the Hogue reps to make the pitch to modify the Hogue G-10 grips internally to allow the use of these plastic based strut assembly's in the P6/225. Not only are spring changes easypeasy but with just staying with the factory P226 spring its around 4lbs lighter then the P6/225 metal based strut assembly. Many of us already use Hogue G-10 grips and having them accept the P226 plastic based strut was supper nice.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What threw me off is that on the Midwest website it says:

Hammer strut 6 fits 220-226-228/9 American Made Frame

Hammer strut 4 fits German frame 220

Can anyone shed light on this? It doesn't look like #6 should fit a P220