SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    226 Sig frame rail tolerances
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 Sig frame rail tolerances Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know what the Sig frame rail tolerances are on a 226 are?

I have a two 226 Legions, one a DA/SA and the other a SAO.
The SAO has a lot of play in the slide to frame fit especially in the front end of the dust cover.
Can push the slide from side to side and easily see the back and forth movement which is more than just a little bit.
I realize there must be some play and there will be differences between different guns but this seems to be more movement than I have ever experienced with any of the now 27 P series Sigs I have owned.

The outer frame rails in this area measure .8905 on the DA/SA and .8555 on the SAO so there is a .005 difference between them.

Have swapped slides on them and the fit is the same on each are with their own slide on it so I know all of the movement is from the frame dimensional differences and no the slide itself.

I have already talked to Sig about it since the SAO is a recent purchase and they have sent me a Shipping Label saying that it may be at the outer limits of their tolerances.
Before I go shipping it off I want to ask if anyone knows exactly what those tolerances on the frame are.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bluesjuke,

Posts: 36 | Registered: January 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Nope. I believe most here will agree that slide play by itself doesn't mean much. It is the barrel to slide fit that matters. Many here have commented on their loose slides yet the guns shoot well. YMMV.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
0.050" is a lot of play.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Nope. I believe most here will agree that slide play by itself doesn't mean much. It is the barrel to slide fit that matters. Many here have commented on their loose slides yet the guns shoot well. YMMV.

I'm aware that barrel to slide lock up is the most important, not all of it but most, but my concern lies in that after many SIG's I have never seen one with this much movement and it's almost new.

posted Hide Post
My purpose in creating this thread is to see I'd anyone knows what the Sig factory min/max tolerances measurements are.
From there I will decide whether to ship it to them or not.
I would rather avoid that instead of them telling me "it's within tolerance".

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Ship it, it's free. It will be back quickly.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Ship it, it's free. It will be back quickly.

Probably best, then I'll know or likely be more satisfied.

Still, I'm curious what their dimensional standard is and how much they +/- vary from in and still be within their spec.
My curiosity reared up when the CS Rep said it may be at an extreme of their tolerances.

avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluesjuke:
Does anyone know what the Sig frame rail tolerances are on a 226 are?

I have a two 226 Legions, one a DA/SA and the other a SAO.
The SAO has a lot of play in the slide to frame fit especially in the front end of the dust cover.
Can push the slide from side to side and easily see the back and forth movement which is more than just a little bit.
I realize there must be some play and there will be differences between different guns but this seems to be more movement than I have ever experienced with any of the now 27 P series Sigs I have owned.

The outer frame rails in this area measure .905 on the DA/SA and .8555 on the SAO so there is a .005 difference between them.

Have swapped slides on them and the fit is the same on each are with their own slide on it so I know all of the movement is from the frame dimensional differences and no the slide itself.

I have already talked to Sig about it since the SAO is a recent purchase and they have sent me a Shipping Label saying that it may be at the outer limits of their tolerances.
Before I go shipping it off I want to ask if anyone knows exactly what those tolerances on the frame are.

Please look at the red text above.
If those measurements are correct you have almost a .050" Gap and that is more than any gunmaker would want; Don't you think? 0.905" minus 0.8555" equals .0495"

If those measurements are correct, look for a new pistol from SIG.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, I did type the numbers incorrectly.
Actual measurements are .8905 & .8855.

,.005" is the difference.

posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, I would take the opportunity to shoot the SAO before and after it comes back from Sig (assuming they change something) as an accuracy comparison.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
Just out of curiosity, I would take the opportunity to shoot the SAO before and after it comes back from Sig (assuming they change something) as an accuracy comparison.

Done, I have 200 rounds through it.

Good idea for a reference.

Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
This won't be much help, but I just checked a P229 ex-leo from 1999 and my nitestand P229R 2007, both 40 DA/SA, and there is no discernable slide to frame slop either lateral or up and down.

There has to be some of course, and I'm sure I can measure it with a test indicator. But there's not enough to feel or see and neither gun rattles when shaken.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some are looser than others and some will even rattle.
My concern began when I saw how much I could watch it move back and forth excessively especially on the front end.
Of course that is the area you will see movement the most but should not be as much as I was witnessing.