SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Roll pin punches - Mayhew, SK or?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roll pin punches - Mayhew, SK or? Login/Join 
posted
Thinking about getting some roll pin punches. Pretty much all of my current punches are Starrett but it looks like Starrett does not make roll pin punches. Therefore I have looked at Mayhew Pro and S-K. Looks like McMaster and Brownells have Mayhew. I'm not real keen on Grace products. Anyone have a preference, why?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Craftsman roll pin punches because of the warranty and Sears is close by.

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taguin:
I like the Craftsman roll pin punches because of the warranty and Sears is close by.

Unfortunately the warranty and convenience are not much value with many stores closing.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from Brownell's, that's all I know.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I like Mayhew. I have sets in a few different styles. FWIW, I have a set of their pin punches in my work box (machinist) that I've used hard for thirty-plus years. Other than dressing the ends a little from time to time, they're still good as ever.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've got Grace and Squirrel Daddy (on Amazon) as well as some generic Wheeler pieces sold in kit form (meh on these...the knurling and short length and mess up your finish).

The Grace punches have not held up so well...not tool steel. Love the Squirrel Daddy stuff...seem very nicely made and the knurling on them is really fine so they grip but don't interfere.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks vinnybass, that is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Snap-on has roll pin punches too but quite pricey. Williams (a Snap-on Company) also has USA made at a lower price.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
One thing I'd add about using roll pin punches. I only use the roll-pin punch (the type with the tit on the end) to start removal of, or finish installation of a roll pin. Once I have the pin moving a little (sub-flush), I'll use a regular pin-punch to drive it the rest of the way out. On re-install I use a roll-pin starter punch (I made these, but you can buy them) to get it in the hole straight, then use a pin-punch to do the main driving, then the roll-pin punch to finish it flush. It sounds like more effort than it really is, it's not. Plus, it will save you gashing your workpiece or putting too much extra hammering on that little tit of your roll-pin punch.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a set made by Enderes Tool that has served me well for years. It is US made.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post